I Forge Iron

Will this work?

I am completely new to blacksmithing. I have read the info on this sight and some others, the only thing that I dont have is an anvil. I dont know of any junkyards within 60miles of where I live so no RR track anvil and I dont want to spend $1200 for one.
I took an old vice clamp and sawed off part of it. I want to set it in a bucket of concrete to make about a 50# anvil. Will this work for small projects? Or will the concrete chip apart?

If the vise is cast, which is likely, it may chip on the edges. Wear eye protection. You might not need to go to a junkyard to find a suitable hunk of iron. Maybe try looking for local machine shops, or welding shops, or a metal supplier. Most of these places would have a hunk you could use I bet. Many people do set pieces of steel into a bucket of concrete like you suggest, I think that can be a reasonable approach.

Actually there are 4 Blacksmith groups in TEXAS!! NTBA---Dallas area; HABA---Houston area/southeast Texas; Balcones Forge---Austin/San Antonio area/central Texas; 4StatesIronMunchers---Texarkana area/northeast area. All good groups with excellent smiths and all willing to help out newbies. I'm sure someone in one of these groups has an extra anvil that you could either purchase or loan til you find one. I have 2 that are available if you are interested and are in my area.... Oh yeah, Welcome to IFI!! Always good to have another TEXAN join!! :)

I just filled in my location in the User CP as well as the other blanks. I am in the Valley View/Gainesville area for those that asked, I hope that's close.:)

Thanks for the advice! I like the idea of setting it in concrete, because I can controll to some extent what its wheight will be. I'll look around for some machine shops and a friend of mine works in a weilding shop.

A bucket of concrete is a good option if you take into account it's low threshold for impact.

Weld a number of pieces of rebar (or whatever) to the sides so impact will be distributed throughout the concrete.

Frosty