I Forge Iron

Begining blacksmithing :)

Damascus Mike

Hi everybody:).Well i have been doing a blacksmithlight engerneering course in the last 2 months and so far we havent done much or learnt much,and id like to know if anybody out there has tips,knowledge,tricks or anything about blacksmithing id greatly apreasiate you sharing it,since i was a small boy i always loved watching those medievil movies with blacksmithing in them and when i found out that it was a real trade and not only a thing in the movies i knew i had to try it and now im hooked for life.
thanx DM aka Shadow forge smith

Edited by steve sells
cleaned up text

Mike this site is about as good as it gets for blacksmithing tips. Begin with a visit to the home page and look for getting started. Tons of info in there. The travel to the blueprint section. look and fine something you think will challenge your abilities and make about a doxen of each. I know you want to do it all now but the skills and muscle memory have to be developed. Yoiu must develop the ability to move metal in the way that will produce what you want. There is no substitute for practice and on perfect practice is beneficial. Practicing things in a poor manner will only make you good at poor work.

Edited by Rich Hale

Continued: This i s not just for Mike but for those getting started. I see some great questions being posed on the forums by new folks. Let me give you a rather universal answer.Write your question down and keep it in front of yoiu and search the forums. That may take a bit of time and lead to some dead ends. Many times you will find that someone with considerable talent has spent a lot of their time shareing knowledge in writing for us to learn from. If another of us gives you a short answer in the forum or in teh chat room it takes away from what you may be able to learn from the other postings. Many of those writings I have printed out and keep handy. One subject that pops up a lot is problems with heat treating. I printed a copy of bp 0078 and keep it handy, I look it over when I work with a new steel or one that I have not used for a while. This site has set new marks for information. Take advantage of that. And Have fun.

another idea I found to open my horizons, was that after I was familiar with this site, go to [ABANA] The Artist Blacksmith's Association of North America, Inc. and view all that is there, and go to the affiliate state sites, and see all the different groups, and they all have sites, and they mostly all have galleries, and many have plans, drawings etc, so much to see, so little time.