I Forge Iron

Home made Fire Pots

Has anyone ever tried to make a really nice fire pot? Not the type of thing like I did with a tire rim or brake drum but more like the ones you buy?

Will I have gotten this really crazy idea on trying to make one and build a new forge to go with it. What I'm looking at is about 6" square at the bottom 8" at the top and 2" deep with a 1" rim or lip. Now I have two types of metal I can use one is several pieces of 2' x 6" and 3/16" thick which has destroyed 3 drill bits with 5 attempts and only 2 holes completed. Then the other is a plate about 3' x 2' about 1/4" thick. Now this leaves me with question of should I double the pieces for the pot or not, just how thick should the pot be?
Now I know it will require a lot of cutting that I will use a hand grinder with a cutting disk for this job. For the welding I will use a stick welder which is small and will take some time for this task. Which leaves me with only one final problem of drilling a 2" hole for the air blower/ash dump. Now I can't do this so I may take it to a shop I know of and see if I can get them to cut the hole, who knows.

Anyway I looked around and didn't see anyone putting anything up on doing this. So I was not sure if I'm the only one crazy enough to try, or just less trouble and a better product just to but one. Now I have already made a pattern out of paper to get all the angles down and such and feel pretty jazzed up on trying. I just want to know if it has been done and with what type of success. Which I know it has to have been done as I have seen to many folks making to many other things.
Let me know what you think.

Bill P

If I wasn't so new I wouldn't ask so many questions.

Edited by billp
another thought

I made one out of 3/8ths diamond plate that works just fine, and our group made five for our forges that work really well, go for it, and if it needs adjustment, refractory cement can come into play. Fot the hole, just torch and grind.

I made my own firepot out of some scrape 3/8" diamond plate as well. My firepot measures 13" x 8" at the top and 8" x 5" at the bottom and is 4 1/2" deep. I would not use 1/4" plate as it will burn through fairly quickly I think. If you could go to the scrap yard I would get my hands on a piece of diamond plate.

Diamond plate was designed to be walked on, and therefore, it is extremlly tough and has a good heat resistance. It will take you awhile to burn through that.

If I were you I would invest in an Oxy/ Acetylene torch set-up. While the initial cost of the rig is large this is offset by the time saved in the cutting and heating process times. If you cannot purchase a O/A rig see if you can borrow one from a local smith. I am sure that some one close to you would be happy to lend you there rig to cut that piece of plate you have there.

Your right my next investment after my anvil (if I can get them to respond to my request) will be an O/A rig. I was able to work out my "Hole" problem out this time but your right it would solve a lot of problems to be able to cut it out with a torch. And yes there are several shops around me (no smiths that I know of) with in 10 miles or less I could go to for a little help, but. I'm just one of those guys that hate to ask for help grew up an only child and just learned to work things out on my own.
So far everything is working out at a half finished stage just had to take a break. I know it may not be the pretties thing but I bet it will work. (I hope)
Bill P

Just finished one for a friend. 1/4" plate. 30cm square by 10cm deep with tuyere made out of some 3/16" reo bar welded into the base. It is lined with a bit of adobe and works really well. It sits in a 50x100cm flat table. Simple :)

As for the cutting out, just mark up what you want and get a pro to do it. Very quick job and cheap too.

On my second forge I used 1/8" steel for the firepot, it was used and left outside all year round(rained and snowed on etc.) for two years and lasted that time.

I doubt that many will agree with me, but it doesn't really matter all that much how long the firepot lasts, or how deep or shallow it is. Once you have made one, I believe that you will discover just how easy it is, you can also chisel out the hole, I used hole about 2 1/2" square, which was the bottem of the upside down pyramid type firepot, then a square thick wall tube for air delivery welded on, with 1/4" round stock welded together as a grate, it worked OK.

You can make the firepot shallower with clay or deeper with bricks stacked up around it, or a sheet metal wall etc.

Thicker is however almost always better for a firepot, the 1/8" would glow bright red to shallow yellow in heavy use, but I made it from scrap laying around and it only took about 2 hours or so to build.

Your 1/4" should last a few years at least, you'll be ok, when it does burn out(if it ever does) you will have so much more experience that it won't seem like a big deal at all to make another one, this time with the knowledge of what you liked of disliked about the size and configuration that you used.

Caleb Ramsby

Thanks guys appreciate your comments... I will attempt to keep the pictures coming until completion.

I just require some time to buy some steel to mount the blower and motor, complete all welds and give it a test run. I can't wait!

Locky

Gee Locky
Mine compared to yours mine is going to look like the country cousin, will post a picture when I finish it. I'm also building a new table to go with it the new fire pot it will be somewhat bigger then the tire rim forge I have now.

Now I making this pot to just drop in and am not welding it in to make replacing easier when the time comes should be OK like that right?
Still debating on whither or not to double up on the thickness. For all the time it takes I may just leave it be for now as Ramsberg said I can always make another and put the extra metal on making the table a bit bigger.

Bill P

My fire pot is made out of 1/4 inch diamond plate because that is what I had. However, it is water cooled to make it last. As a full time smith I've used it almost daily for three years with no problems. I'll try to post a picture soon.

Locky, that is a very detailed description of your firepot, I think the best I've ever seen. You must have had a lot of work with it. If I build a new forge I will surely make this firepot for it.
Thank you very much!

Gee Locky
Mine compared to yours mine is going to look like the country cousin, will post a picture when I finish it. I'm also building a new table to go with it the new fire pot it will be somewhat bigger then the tire rim forge I have now.

Now I making this pot to just drop in and am not welding it in to make replacing easier when the time comes should be OK like that right?
Still debating on whither or not to double up on the thickness. For all the time it takes I may just leave it be for now as Ramsberg said I can always make another and put the extra metal on making the table a bit bigger.

Bill P

Yes, Bill. You want it to just drop in. It will expand and contract with heat anyway. Bolts could shear off and if not, may have the same result if you welded it to your table; the whole table could warp ;) And, as you said yourself, its easier to replace if and when the time comes!

SEE I told you I was learning ;)

I didn't know or thing about all you said but in my ignorance I would come more near doing the wrong thing instead of right, BUT! Somehow just dropping it in seemed more right then wrong.
On what you told me I'll also see to it that I leave enough space open in the table so the pot can expand and not make it to fit. After all don't want a fire pot popping out full of red hot coal or in my case charcoal. :o
Thanks Dodge

Bill P