I Forge Iron

Advice on an anvil

I look to come in to a little money so I'll thinking of getting an anvil but just not sure which one. I know I'm just starting out but I like things to last and don't want junk so I'm willing to pay if worth it. So here is what I'm looking at;
Cliff Carroll 125lb around 500.00
Peddinghaus 110lb double horn at 1000.00
TFS 100lb around 600.00
JHM Journeyman 125 lb for 580.00.
To tell the truth the JHM or TFS look good but don't know anything about.
As before any help will be appreciated.
Thanks Bill P.

Bill, It is your call but unless you need a small portable anvil I think you would be well advised to go for something a little bigger. You could do small work on any of those but you won't be able to do bigger work successfully.

I use a couple of 280 pounders which are possibly bigger than you need but if you loook at the prices and the costs of transport and installation you might be surprised at how little extra a bigger unit is.

Bill, It is your call but unless you need a small portable anvil I think you would be well advised to go for something a little bigger. You could do small work on any of those but you won't be able to do bigger work successfully.

I use a couple of 280 pounders which are possibly bigger than you need but if you loook at the prices and the costs of transport and installation you might be surprised at how little extra a bigger unit costs.

If you have a $1,000 to spend on an anvil get a big one for that money. You may not in the future have that much money again for an anvil so get the biggest you can for the money. Also don't be afraid of an old anvil they are not all junk. Many slightly used anvils are out there that are older then almost any three of us old men and still not showing any significant wear. You may be surprised what you can get if you look a good used anvil.

Take a look at this anvil The Ozark Pattern Anvil from the Ozark School Of Blacksmithing . They are currently out of them but are having new ones cast and are going to be a Tom Clark Memorial with his birthday and passing day cast in the side. Same price. Excellent anvil, made of S-7.

Also Jim Hoffman has a new anvil made of H-13. I have used one of these and they are nice. They come either in a colonial style or with a bick, your choice. Not sure of the price. They are less than 100#s IIRC. Good for demos.

When you decide don't forget PICTURES!!;)

I understand about bigger is better but right now my smithy has to be kind of portable as it may be a year or two before I can build a simple pole shop. My wood shop has a wood conventional floor due to a slanting yard so I have to move things in to store and out to work. If it was not for that I would make the needed changes and use it as a smithy/shop.
I just though at a 100 to 150 (maybe 180) range would work for now as I'm not looking to do anything really big for a while as I learn and work on my skills keeping it small and simple. Plus as my skills get better I was hoping to start doing reenactments, school demonstrations, and that sort of thing just to promote and keep alive blacksmithing in my little area. So doing this sort of thing I will be doing small and quick items when doing demonstrations. I know you understand you all have been doing this a lot longer then I.

I was just curious if the brands mentioned were reliable or not. I have been looking more at a JHM 160lb Shaper anvil that has a long face 17 1/4 x 4 1/4 at 878.00 to 709.55 the promo clams it to work great for blacksmithing. Then again I know most of these anvils are sold for farriers so again not sure if it will meet my needs.
I also understand about used and have no problem with that but I best use the money in hand now cause it may not be here later on if I wait.
I thank you all for your input it really helps and I do appreciated it.
Bill P

OK one last question and I leave you all alone on this but, what are the advantages or disadvantages of a double horn anvil? I have never seen one or don't remember seeing one but it seems all the old world German style anvils are double. Seems to me you lose some room on the face but that's why I ask. I have learned though the more bulk at the bottom the better if that's so have changed my mind on my #1 choice and am now looking at the Euranvils. Good price, old world style with my limited knowledge looks good just a double horn style, let me know.

Thomas
The Ozark School looks good just not sure if I can get up that way this weekend. They have several things I would like to look at, will just have to see. Thanks for the info.

Bill P

Well it depends on what YOU will be doing. Some folks love them as the sq cross section horn is really handy for certain things for other people it just gets in the way.

If you are knifemaking the sq horn won't gain you much, for ornate ornamental work it might be very usefull. For simple smithing it's useful for thinks like toasting forks.

As for room on the face you either *gain* room, *lose* room or it has no effect depending on the design.

Personally I have 5 london pattern anvils and would love to have a double horned version (besides my renaissance styled stake anvil....

Get a double horn anvil with a shelf and you have an anvil section to work on that is like the heel of a London pattern anvil. The square horn is good for tapering the end of short stock. One often works over the far edge of the anvil when tapering so that as a point is formed the hammer edge is over the edge of the anvil and if you miss a little or are slightly tilted with the blow it doesn't ding the anvil face, it just glances off.

I would definetely buy the Euroanvil. I have the 335 pound one. Couls have used a smaller one. Bigger is not always better. The biggert the anvil the more mass it has to draw the heat out of your steel. In many cases the face it too wide to work on for many projects. My opinion now is an anvil around 250 pounds give or take 20 is what you will need 90% of the time. The smaller anvils are easier to get around while forging. I am eventually going to have a Hofi anvil one way or the other. That is a very well thought out anvil. For now the Euroanvil is hard to beat for the money. I would probably buy the anvil that weighs around 260 pounds, not sure of the exact weight. i will probably buy the 175 pounder next to have a smaller anvil to work off of. I would definetely suggest that you put it on the metal tripod stand like they do at the Ozark School. After you get your stand made buy a tube of silicone adhesive caulking and lay in down all over the anvil base plate on the stand. Place the anvil on it and allow 24 hours to dry. The anvil will not move, kills the ring also. You can drag the anvil around your shop and it won't come off.

The way I figure it, anvil features such as horns, side shelves etc. are the 'integrated' approach to providing certain facilities, whereas providing separate tools is the 'non-integrated' approach to the same solution. Any need that arises can be dealt with by producing a tool and this applies whether you have a cube of steel or a Hofi anvil; integrated features are convenient in that they are there already and they are already mounted securely. They're great if you need them but can get in the way if you don't. A bladesmith forging Puukos could probably use a suitably dressed cube of steel all his life. An ornamental smith might be hard-pressed to get by one day without at least one horn and a whole bunch of swages, fullers etc. A nailmaker couldn't produce a nail without a bolster/header and a hardy.

I like my double-horn anvil. Each to their own though and I probably would've stuck with my vertical rail anvil if I could've built a decent mount for it at the time.

Thanks guys the Euro anvil it is.
First because of the strong comments and advice you all gave then secondly cause it just looks so darn good. Nice heft, thick body, and from the pictures looks to have 1 hardie and 2 pritchels. May have to start with a wood stand though, have a good design of one made from 2x12's I'll try first. Later on as I get the material will definitely build the tripod you mentioned Firebug as it does look more substantial then the wood. But I think I'm going to have to go with the 175 lb.anvil for the ease of being able to move around. If I had the smity I'm planning to build in the future I would go with the 286 lb. instead. But cause I have to move it on a regular basses to work and store smaller will have to do. I'm sure though as time goes by and my plain develops I'll get the bigger and use both as I'm starting to learn a lot of blacksmiths do. Plus right now most of my work will be small ornamental type stuff pickle forks, candle holders, fire pit utensils that sort of stuff so the smaller should not hurt, I hope. Only big thing plained right now will be a candle chandelier my wife wants for the patio. Which will be the bargaining chip with her for me to get the anvil. See I have learned a thing or two even if this is my second time around.

So thanks again it really does help to get the opinions of those who have been ahead of me to help make the road a little easier.
Bill P

OK I came back to this sight cause this is where I started.
BUT, I'm having trouble getting in touch with Blacksmith Supply in trying to order a Euro anvil. I have emailed and called leaving several messages. I know they are still doing business cause I ordered a hammer from them and it's on it's way to me now. If I can't get in touch with them by tomorrow I'm going to have to order from someone else buying something else. Trouble is I don't know of anyone else selling Euros and I'm sold and want one.

So, If anyone can explain why I can't get in touch (family trouble, business trouble, etc.) I can understand but if not will!!!! Then if anyone knows of someone else selling Euros please let me know that too. I do want to use Blacksmith Supply cause they are the ones I first found the anvil on. But I can't do business if no one contacts me. HELP!!

Also if I'm wrong in putting this up I apologize just not sure who or what too do at this point to be fair.

Bill P

• 3 weeks later...

Aha - a thread on anvil advice.

As this is the 'next big thing' on the shopping list - what advice can good folk provide an Aussie when shopping for a new or old anvil. Advice on price, size and quality appreciated.

So far - all the old eBay has to offer is one nice looking small one, one shiny ex-military decent sized one, and a few that look like they were made out of clay at primary school!

G'Day Cliff , good luck with that bloke ...

The ABA ( Vic ) mite be able to point you in the right direction , stay away from the over inflated eBay 1's mate .

There is a bloke selling anvils this way too , kinda pricey & from what i've seen a tad " soft " on the face

Dale Russell