I Forge Iron

Recommended powerhammers for beginners?

Hi All,

A question. I would like to build a basic power hammer that runs electric. I can afford to buy the nice aryang hammer yet, one day i will though, but I would like to build something that can help me with quick drawing and folding. I only need to do the basics for right now, as I have a lot to learn. Can you guys recommend a hammer I can build that is motorized and can be build and a relatively small scale compared to the big monsters.

Any takers with blueprints. I have a good access to various components. I would really appreciate it.

J.

Jaret... probably the most popular self manufactured hammer is the Kinyon hammer and there are lot's of guys that can help you with blueprints. If you want the challenge of building a hammer, the Kinyon is a good one. The first power hammer I used was a Kinyon that I built. It has well over 10 years ago... I built it for the blacksmith shop I was working for. It was much better than the old hammer and anvil (although I still use the hammer and anvil). Building the hammer was a good experience, but before you start, make sure that you understand the total cost. I spent over $600 for a cylinder and the controls. We had a large air compressor in the shop, so there was no cost there... but they take a lot of air for continous work. I bought my steel at a scrap yard, but it was still hundreds of dollars for the anvil and steel for the frame. I didn't count the hours of fabrication, but it was not trivial (but I enjoyed the work). If I charged out my time and kept close tabs of the cost, I am sure that I would have well over $3,000 in the hammer. Then we had the maintenance of the air cylinder (I might have undersized the cylinder for continous heavy use.) I would at least consider as an option is a commercial power hammer. I belive that Steve Hansel has some new Anyang hammers for sale in Canada. I have one 33 and 4 20 lb hammers that were from the estate of the previous distributor. Let me know if I can help.

There's also the "Rusty" series of Appalachian helve type hammers or the "Tire" hammer currently becoming popular.

Either one is well within the capacity of a moderately skilled fabricator though I highly recommend good welding skills. How good a scrounge you are and how much time you take will determine how much you have to pay to build one. That last goes for any home built hammer of course.

Frosty

Jaret... probably the most popular self manufactured hammer is the Kinyon hammer and there are lot's of guys that can help you with blueprints. If you want the challenge of building a hammer, the Kinyon is a good one. The first power hammer I used was a Kinyon that I built. It has well over 10 years ago... I built it for the blacksmith shop I was working for. It was much better than the old hammer and anvil (although I still use the hammer and anvil). Building the hammer was a good experience, but before you start, make sure that you understand the total cost. I spent over $600 for a cylinder and the controls. We had a large air compressor in the shop, so there was no cost there... but they take a lot of air for continous work. I bought my steel at a scrap yard, but it was still hundreds of dollars for the anvil and steel for the frame. I didn't count the hours of fabrication, but it was not trivial (but I enjoyed the work). If I charged out my time and kept close tabs of the cost, I am sure that I would have well over $3,000 in the hammer. Then we had the maintenance of the air cylinder (I might have undersized the cylinder for continous heavy use.) I would at least consider as an option is a commercial power hammer. I belive that Steve Hansel has some new Anyang hammers for sale in Canada. I have one 33 and 4 20 lb hammers that were from the estate of the previous distributor. Let me know if I can help.

Thanks James. I did contact the guy in BC that sells for Anyang. $6000 is a little our of my price range. Definitly something I would like to buy once a guy can makes enough doing this hobby to sustain the cost of a nice anyang.

What do use Anyangs go for?

Thanks

Jaret

There's also the "Rusty" series of Appalachian helve type hammers or the "Tire" hammer currently becoming popular.

Either one is well within the capacity of a moderately skilled fabricator though I highly recommend good welding skills. How good a scrounge you are and how much time you take will determine how much you have to pay to build one. That last goes for any home built hammer of course.

Frosty

Thanks Frosty,

I am pretty keen with a welder and fabrication. My brother is a welder as well. I have access to steel salvage lots including all the steel on all my families various farms.

The simpler the better. Small and compact. the biggest use of all this will be to fold billets for knife making.

Thanks again,

Jaret

Jaret, You going to be making any jewelery soon? I like the short Depew type shop built helve hammer. If I ever get some money ahead I think that I would build that one.

I would like to know more. The jewelry thing will come after i have the forgery built. I would like to take the ideas of jewelry and implement them into the handles. Can you tell me what this helve hammer is? I would be interested in knowing more. Basically I am writing a plan over the next 3 years. Understanding certain components will help me forecast my plans and I can keep an eye open for materials as I scour for materials. PLease let me know.

Thanks

J

Using a tire drive instead of the pullies is just a matter of replacing the large pully with one of those compact spares that are useless on a car and replacing the small pully on the motor with a small rubber wheel.

Then the motor is mounted on a hinged mount connected to the treadle. When you step on the treadle the rubber wheel contacts the tire and the hammer goes.

You could use the wheel rim to mount the crank to run the helve and a standard automotive or trailer spindle and hub to mount the tire for a really strong set up.

Frosty

• 3 months later...

jaret you can get plans for the apalachian power hammer from gerry allen thats where i bought mine pretty basic plans but they give you a pretty good idea of what to do the hard part for me is figuring out all the measurements to build to my hieght and specs for the material i have located.Also cheap to build i have about 300.00 $ invested pretty well have everything i need.google apalachian power hammers good luck

Just an idea of how simple it can be:
YouTube - The Original Junk Yard Hammer
This hammer avoids having to build guides, a stumbling block for many. If I did this one again I'd use the "tire hammer" clutch idea.

Frosty: I don't think you're supposed to use a rubber wheel on the motor, you don't use rubber on rubber, the motor should have a steel wheel.

Grant, I love the idea of using the auto parts. Fabricating properly fitting ram and ram guides and drive shaft has always been kind of worry for me when I think about building anything other than a very simple helve hammer, and this seems like a really clever way of getting around that problem. I wonder if it'd be possible to incorporate this idea (using an engine block, piston and crankshaft) into a reciprocating ram hammer, Little Giant-style. (This is all more or less theoretical for me; I don't have a place to put a hammer right now, and likely won't anytime soon. But I can't help thinking about it. :) )

I would highly suggest taking a long look at the tire hammer, it takes up little room, is fairly light and easy to move, around 700 lbs, and can move some serious metal, I'm still fairly new, 2.5 years and counting, and I am absolutely crazy about mine. Clay Spencer holds classes where you build several at once, and you get to hang out with a bunch of like minded individuals for 3-4 days, nothing better than that!! Check out the "alabama forge council" and the link to Clay is on there somewhere, and he also sells plans for the hammer.

Edited by divermike

Could someone of the tire-hammering guys here tell me more about the spring attachement between the arms ? I know it needs to be adjustable to tune the spring tension, but does it need to be mounted on pivots or are the nuts welded solid on the arms ?

The recommendations provided as answers to your questions are certainly excellent ones. However, I have also heard people say many times that one first should learn to develop skills in hand hammering. Depending on how close to an absolute beginner you are, you may wish to first work on your hand hammering skills and your understanding of safety.

When you do use a powerhammer remember:
- to point the hot iron so that if it is squeezed out of the dies that the hot iron bar will shoot past you and not into your body.
- never clean scale off the dies with your hand, always use a brush if you value your hand.
- always keep the piece level so that it does not flip up into your face when struck.
- if you use tongs make sure that they are a really good fit and grip on the iron.

..... I only need to do the basics for right now, as I have a lot to learn. Can you guys recommend a hammer I can build that is motorized and can be build and a relatively small scale compared to the big monsters.
J.