I Forge Iron

Euroanvils

Hey guys, I was just skimming through the internet looking at different kinds of anvils and I came across Euroanvils. Does anyone have one or have a comment about their anvils. They seem really inexpensive, but high quality. I'm just wondering if this would be a good choice for a main shop down the road.

m brothers-

Euroanvils and Old World anvils are pretty similar in design. Old World anvils is located at Bob Bergman's shop in New Glarus, so you could easily drive over and pick one up. I don't own one, so can't comment on their quality, but they seem to be pretty popular.

Patrick

John:

If you drive down to see Bob he might let you try out one of his shop power hammers. You haven't lived till you test drive a Nazel 3b.

I've heard very little bad about Euroanvils, some finish issues a while back but that's about it. Good quality economical anvils. I've used one of my buddy's Euroanvil and it worked just fine considering it's size.

Frosty

I use one. As I probably said in one of the threads Glenn listed :D...

... the faces are a bit softer than an old war-horse like a PW or MouseHole, but as long as you keep hot iron between your hammer and the face you'll be fine. Mine has an "upsetting block", so you've got a surface for banging on cold ends if you need to.

You will need to get a belt sander (or something) to dress all of the edges. They come from the foundry milled flat, but the edges are pretty sharp.

If I had to replace mine, I'd get another one like it in a heartbeat.

Don

Edited by Don A
"They" has a "y" in it.

I love mine. Over 5-6 years of constant use the softness in the face has disappeared. I can't say anything I don't like about it. The waist is really large which makes the most efficient working area on the anvil larger that most other ones of the same weight. For the first few years and even rarely now, I'll take a flap disk and lightly go over the whole surface of the face to make sure it is really smooth. It is important to have a smooth anvil face because when you hit steel, the spreads by sliding on the anvil face. The less friction the better. It is very rare that I need to touch the surface now. I lightly smoothed the transition from the face to the horn so I could draw steel on the horn close to the face without leaving marks in it. I also slightly rounded most of the edges. I love the shelf on mine. I use it all the time for straightening, shaping curves, and just for having a longer area to straighten stock while standing with my hip next to the heel. I like that the anvil isn't really wide because I work over the far edge of the anvil and I don't have to lean or swing out from my body. I think it is a very good design, and really hard to beat for the money.

Well I just got mine today at the GREAT NC abana/Big BLU meeting from John Elliot ( blacksmithsupply) I got the 286lb Euro. I Already love it and aint even used er yet:o. I am going get the stand belt this week/weekend. Pictures are on the way. I think they are a steal at the price and quality they are.
Chris