I Forge Iron

Post vise stand

MoleDoc

Does anyone have a good plan for a post leg vise stand. I work in and out of my garage for now so I need a stand I can move out into the driveway for grinding and such. I have acess to a pretty reasonable scrap steel dealer and I have an arc welder at the forge where I take lessons. I'd appreciate any drawings or really good photos. Especially useful would be cautionary notes of what NOT to do so I don't make the same mistake. There is a truck dismantler about 30 miles away so I can get big rims or brake drums too.

Thanks

Ted:D

What happens when you drop tools/work into it?

Fish them out with your long pickup tongs...actually, it's easier to put a lid over the hole and use it for a table, then swing it aside when you need to quench. I've used this setup for many years at demo's and it works well.

The 55 gallon barrel filled with water works great I have mine setup a hair from the shop doors so I can swing the doors open and start to work.

I put a wood insert into the top of the barrel to rigidize it and mounted my vise to a piece of square pipe with a good footing welded on.

I used some thin angle iron to mount the square pipe to the barrel. Start your weld on the angle iron an span it over to the barrel and you will be less likely to burn through the barrel. I did about forty little tack welds to the barrel and it is rock solid.

The tripod has been a godsend. If i have a friend who wants to play. I have them grab the extra anvil and haul it out and set up the tripod.

They work out of the back of the forge and I work out of the front of the gasser and we don't burn any more gas and we aren't tripping over each other

I mounted my hinges about six inches higher than jimbob did which means longer legs but the physics made sense to me. Right now I am looking for socket set at the flea market so I can attach a ratchet with the right size socket to it so I can always disassemble and reassemble it fast. For lighter loading in the car.

I built the tripod one using Jimbob's pictures and it works good. The one I made is not steady enough to do heavy forging, but I found by cutting some holes in the feet and driving spikes into the ground it works much better. The only thing I would change about it, is make the legs as long as Jimbob's original design, it would really be needed if you use it on pavement.

Fish them out with your long pickup tongs...actually, it's easier to put a lid over the hole and use it for a table, then swing it aside when you need to quench. I've used this setup for many years at demo's and it works well.

if you go to tractor supply you can get a formed top made to fit a 55 gal barrel their made for deer corn feeders ...would work real good for the vise stand they were only like $19 or so

here is a post vise stand i made a few years ago, i used a semi truck brake drum, welded in a 4 inch diameter pipe as tall as the vise, then you can see a smaller diameter pipe welded in so the vise leg wont move around

i fill it with sand, lead, or anything with lots of weight, i havent done it yet but i plan on making it so i can bolt it to the floor using the lug holes (for doing those bends that make the vise wanna move in circles) i just need to pour a concrete pad and put some studs in it before the concrete hardens

works purty good for me, here is a picture

Ron

12356.attach

Thanks to all for the excellent ideas. The one in the blue prints by Uri Hofi looks sturdy enough to stop a tank. I have a great scrap yard near me so I will give it a try. The tripod one looks great for a smaller traveling set up but I think it will tougher to manufactur than my skills will allow. As for the drum I sure id burn a few holes in it with he welding and we are almost on water rationing here in So. Cal.

Ted:D

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good. I'd suggest welding a rim on the plate so you can lay punches, chisels and other round tools down without them falling off.

A drilled wood block makes a good punch/chisel/etc. holder but sometimes having them standing on end gets in the way.

Frosty