I Forge Iron

1st attempt

well its a nice day my brother and i have carried the forge and makeshift anvil outside and are about to light it up. the fuel we used was some really cheap barbecue charcoal.

forge01.jpg
set light to it... and after 30 seconds or so we turned on the fan, which produced a firework display and then quickly turn into a roaring flame. once everything had caught light properly it was actually looking very nice. one thing we found very quickly was the fact of how fast the fuel was being burned off we went through an entire sack of bbq charcoal in a relatively short space of time.

do you guys stop blowing when u take the work off the hammer or ?? and what other sources of longer lasting fuel is available in UK ?

forge02.jpg
any way found some scrap piece of metal and decided to just experiment. one thing is definatley clear , is that we really need a proper pair of tongs to remove the work . i think a project is about to develop.....

forge031.jpg
so just for a laugh i tried to make my 1st steak knife.....

i know i know u want to learn my blade-smithing technique so u can produce this fine Damascus katana also ....?? the point is this is gonna get terribly addictive i can tell. anyway more to come soon

Xim

First off, Welcome to the site!

Well you have learned some things right off the bat! I think almost everyone shuts down the air on their forge when they pull the steel (powered air supply) and of course if you are using a hand crank or bellows you cant be working them and forging too. Charcoal is good fuel but as you have already discovered it goes quick. Good quality blacksmithing coal lasts much longer if you have a good source nearby. Check out the "coal suppliers thread on this forum to see if there is a supplier in your area.

By the way, if that is also your very first attempt at forging you have done a right fine job. Both the forging and the twist. read the section on metal working listed on the right hand column of the home page. Good place to start and LOTS of info on this site. Research the site and post any and all questions you may have. We are more than willing to help!

Terry

Charcoal does burn up fast
I add a couple of handfulls almost every heat or sooner.
I liive in a rural area and make you own carcoal out of 2" X 4", nont sure what that is in metric, scrap construction lumber. Pine oak maple it doesnt matter to me.
I use a 55 gal barrel with a resealable top.
Cut 4 2 inch holes in the sides mear the bottom
Make steel plugs to fit these holes.
Stack the barrel full oof lumber with about 1' sticking out.
Light the wood
After the wood has burned for at least an hour and is in the state that when you grab it with tongs it breaks and is no longer solid but burning coals.
plug the holes and cover the top so it doesnt get air.
The fire will go out leaving you about 40% carcoal of the volume of wood you started out with
If I use wood with nails (iron wood HA HA) after it is charcoal I use a large magnet to remove the nails. Otherwise you will have nails burning up in the fire giving off sparks. These hot nails will also try to weld to you work.

There is a different way to make charcoal were the smoke is captured and sent to the fire to burn up but it looked like too much hastle to make to me.
I have an unlimited supply of scrap construction lumber so do it that way.

Your local coal merchant should be able to supply you with blacksmith coke. It's generally the size of the top portion of your thumb. Somewhat flame proof to start, but it will last longer than charcoal - attracting less attention from your neighbours.

Take a look at the British Artist Blacksmith Association (BABA) web site. There are quite a few educational opportunities for you in the S/W UK.

Where abouts are you located?

Hi Xim, and welcome, If you are in Devon, you can get forge coke from Jeffreys at Bovey Tracey, or Symonds and Sons at Challaborough Farm, Bow, I understand Mendip Coal no longer stock forging coke.

Or contact a local smith and see if they will let you know their supplier, we occasionally supply coke to our members on Blacksmiths Guild Home if they are stuck for some.

Good luck with your new adventure

John beat me to it with the local coke dealers ;)

If you decide to go for the charcoal, hte price will rack up quickly. I use it when demonstrating and teaching groups (using Iron Age and Roman forges with bellows) so I buy charcoal in bulk (well, a few hundred kilos at a time). when I'm demonstrating I reckon on 25-30kg for a full day. The guy I buy my charcoal from is running a course for me in a couple of months, teaching people how to make it themselves. I wasted a lot of time and firewood trying to make it in the past - it is certainly an art!