I Forge Iron

Asking for design help for an anvil stand

Beast is a good descriptive term or that . . . beast. Good call putting a scale on the tray edge. About the only suggestion I have is maybe put feet on it before you paint it, it might dig in on dirt and get a little rocky tippy.

Oh, where's the cup holder? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Beast is a good descriptive term or that . . . beast. Good call putting a scale on the tray edge. About the only suggestion I have is maybe put feet on it before you paint it, it might dig in on dirt and get a little rocky tippy.

Oh, where's the cup holder? :)

Frosty The Lucky.

I thought about adding feet, but since I'm currently working in my garage, it rests nicely on the concrete floor without them.

And now you've got me brainstorming ideas for a cup holder. Have to make sure it can't be confused with the punch lube, though (and before you ask why I know this, let's just say that back when I was working in the art restoration studio, I had an unfortunate moment when I confused a cup of denatured alcohol for my cup of tea).

11 minutes ago, JHCC said:

I thought about adding feet, but since I'm currently working in my garage, it rests nicely on the concrete floor without them.

And now you've got me brainstorming ideas for a cup holder. Have to make sure it can't be confused with the punch lube, though (and before you ask why I know this, let's just say that back when I was working in the art restoration studio, I had an unfortunate moment when I confused a cup of denatured alcohol for my cup of tea).

Tea with a KICK! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:  Reminds me of days gone by when we'd sit around and play Backgammon for hours every evening. It wasn't uncommon to either drop your dice in a cup of coffee or throw your coffee on the gammon board. 

Of course cooling hot punches, etc. in your cup will just keep it hot longer, Mulled tea or coffee.

On the serious side that's exactly why I use a covered insulated cup in the shop, keeps my coffee or Ice tea close to a good temp and keeps the flying crud out.

Frosty The Lucky.

7 minutes ago, JHCC said:

And then there's the high-tech version.

My my my. :huh:  Sure a good thing the college prof didn't have anything important to do eh?

You don't mull liquor do you? Doesn't a good Irishman go to hell for spilling good liquor? I wonder what level he'd end up in for deliberately wasting it?

I think I'll stick to turning on the Mr. Coffee and let the teapot keep hot on top of the forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

2 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Never seen someone mistake their dip cup????

Never seen someone's spouse mistake their spouse's dip cup? 

My brother once poured my dad a big steaming mug of what he thought was tea but turned out to be goose grease.

Little detail: the anvil gives about 85% rebound in the ball bearing test, which is no change from the old stump. The upsetting block only gives about 35%, but since that's to be expected from some welded up pieces of mild steel, I'm not upset.

22 hours ago, JHCC said:

I guess that wasnt really your cup of tea? Not a very good pun... I'm sorry

On 2/4/2016 at 9:03 PM, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.c said:

The height should be about your wrist when you are standing up straight.  With the 3 legged stand your feet can be under the anvil with you closer and up straight with less back pain.  A 3 legged stand always has all three legs firmly on the ground and is much more stable.

Let me know if I can help you,

Wayne

Wayne, I went with a taller height as you suggested, since I figured I could always trim it shorter if necessary. While I haven't had a chance to actually forge some steel on it yet (thank you very much, head cold), I took a few whacks on a piece of wood with my usual hammer, and it felt really comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion.

23 minutes ago, MrDarkNebulah said:

I guess that wasnt really your cup of tea? Not a very good pun... I'm sorry

I coughed it out immediately, which made me the cougher and the alcohol the coughee.

• 1 month later...

Addendum: rather than going with the silicone, I put some thin bits of inner tube rubber under the anvil and wedged a chunk of wood between the rim of the top plate and the anvil's foot. It deadens it nicely and locks it in solid.

IMG_20160426_221705724.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:08 PM, JHCC said:

Little detail: the anvil gives about 85% rebound in the ball bearing test, which is no change from the old stump. The upsetting block only gives about 35%, but since that's to be expected from some welded up pieces of mild steel, I'm not upset.

Of course not. The steel will be upset, not the smith.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/1/2016 at 0:29 PM, Scrambler82 said:

What are the measurements, height, floor foot print ?

The footprint is 29" horn to heel (not counting the tool tray), and the width of the heel end is 18". The stand is 24" to the bottom of the anvil (not counting the upsetting block), so the total height with anvil is 35-1/4".

Scrambler; are you familiar with the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River?  (It's a good question and a rather common answer in blacksmithing as many of us design for the stock on hand or easily sourced---or some projects stay on hold till the "right" stuff turns up. Keep up with your " 'satiable curtiosity "!)

1 hour ago, ThomasPowers said:

Scrambler; are you familiar with the banks of the great grey-green, greasy Limpopo River?  

Would that be the one all set about with fever-trees?

Also worth noting (from a structural point of view) that since the anvil is securely wedged between the flanges of the I-beam, it doesn't need the bit of lateral stability that the feet normally provide.

• 2 months later...
43 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

The bottom of the stand being wider than the top is understood but I wasn't sure of the anvil resting point being smaller.  I would have thought distribution of the downward force would be best distributed with full contact !

The bulk of the anvil is still over the stand; only a bit of each foot is outside, so not an issue.

47 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

JHCC, Another question...  Did the stand ring before the rubber was added ?

Can't answer that one, as I added the rubber right at the start. The anvil was rocking a bit when I first test-fit it to the stand, so the rubber is just as much to shim up the corners as it is to deaden the sound.

49 minutes ago, Scrambler82 said:

So I have another question...  The wooden shim, how long before replacement ?

I've replaced it once already, but that's because the first one didn't fit very well. I'm not particularly worried about its durability, as I can always hack out a new one as necessary.

I cheated, I cut the angle iron for the frame then clamped it to the anvil foot and tacked it, adjusted it then welded it so there was no rocking or odd gaps.

Having the legs extend a bit beyond the anvil's center of mass just makes it harder to tip if you're doing leverage work on it say scrolling with a fork and wrench.

A tripod is much more stable than more legs of a large flat base.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...