I Forge Iron

File lizard

Following my feeble attempt at a wrought lizard, I thought an old file would be a good starting point for another try. The texture looks a lot like scales.

The file curled a bit as it was necked out for the head, but the hump produced looks OK. Just migged on some mild steel feet. I would like to fold the end of the file under (and weld?) to get more mass for the head, but I thought file steel would probably snap and the surfaces wouldn't weld too well.

Anyway, here's the result. I like the body shape and will take more care with the feet on the next one. Incidentally, I had a bit of a brain fade with this one, got distracted and picked up the wrong end. Hammer hand too, so forging for the day finished up abruptly.

DSC_4047.jpg

Hi Aus,

I really like the texture and the idea using old file or rasp (is it a rasp?) for imitating reptile skin. Or could you call it repfile skin? :)

As you mentioned the legs are a bit iffy proportion-wise. 

Well, and I'm glad we can see your works again.

Be well

Gergely

I like "Repfile" for a general category similar to the ever popular "rasple snake". Thanks for doing my thinking this morning Gergely.

Nicely done Aus. Just tell folk how hard it is to get the lizard's head turned to look that direction JUST LIKE THAT.

Frosty The Lucky.

Nice job, ausfire!  Glad you posted your picture.  I have a few rasps and will give it a try with one of them.  I like the rasp for making the scales...beats using a chisel and doing a boogered-up job.

Draw that head and nose out a bit and shorten the toes quite a bit, and you've got a perfect alligator!!

Edited by arkie

Draw that head and nose out a bit and shorten the toes quite a bit, and you've got a perfect alligator!!

​Yes indeed. The rasp would give ideal texture for a croc. (We don't have alligators here). More ideas to try!

I like Gergely's coining of the word 'repfile' too. Here in Australia we actually do have real snakes called file snakes, presumably named for the roughness of their scales.

I look forward to seeing Arkie's repfile, and my next try will be a 'crocofile'. :rolleyes:

I don't know if I can keep up with these new "species" of critters.....  Kinda like Darwin Gone Wild.

​Understandable, so what I do. Write them down and keep them on . . . wait . . . for . . . it . . . File. :P

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm glad the 'repfile' has found its way to spread :). And guess what I found yesterday at the scrapyard? I didn't test it yet but if it's not usable anymore it will be on the to do list shortly!

Thanks Aus - again - for inspiration.

Gergely