I Forge Iron

I think I found my first beginner "anvil"

Hello all!

First off, this is my first post here, the site has already been a wealth of knowledge for me!

I'm posting this because I believe I may have found an object I can use for a beginning anvil, It is the short arm from a very old Two-Post car lift.

It's very similar to the one in the attached picture, and the area that I plan on using is the plate where the arm attaches to the black area of the lift itself.

the plate's dimensions are:4" wide x 8" long x 3/4" thick

The entire arm weighs about 60lbs. It has a nice ring when struck, but I haven't done a rebound test yet. I am not planning on forging large items.

My questions are, can anyone help me identify what kind of steel the arm is made of and are there any ideas to cut/weld to improve it?

Thanks for your help, I'm glad to have joined the community!

12000_gallery_12.jpg

I did as of this morning, But I had no way to cut the base plate from the tower. The only torch I have in the shop is Oxygen Acetylene, I don't think I could cut steel that thick with it.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, the base plate on this lift was the same thickness as the plate on the arm, About 3/4", but I also had a lot of welded gussets.

Edited by Technician.Austin

Even a small OA cutting torch will do 3/4" thick material, and all you needed to cut through was the upright which is a lot thinner. If it was me ,I would have cut the upright around 2' up, and used that as the pedestal for the now upside down base. Weld the other baseplate to the first, and Bam! You have an anvil. The arm has the weight needed, but it is all spread out, and tubular in places. Take the arm, and cut off the tabs where the pivot pin passes through. Now stand the arm on that end.  On the other end you want to weld a chunk of steel big enough to cover it, and then some. You may have to play with the height to get it around the closed fist knuckle height.

It was a 1980's Challenger Lift, But as of yesterday morning its all in the scrap yard. The arm I received was a gift from my shop foreman at our dealership. He heard I was looking for something to beat on, I can't complain with what I got for free.

I may do the cut and weld like you are mentioning though, ideally I want a plate big enough to stand itself up, the tube in the center (and for weight I may weld the 2nd part of the arm into the first) then weld a plate on top.

Charles, my local scrap yards are shut to the public. We cant even walk our automotive junk yards here. It's a joke. Does anyone know of a scrap yard within driving distance that does still sell to the public?

So did you go upstream and ask forklift and heavy equipment repair places about scrap for an anvil?  Farm implement dealerships?  Heavy truck repair places?

If your state has any mining done in it there will be heavy scrap around in places other than scrapyards!

Edited by ThomasPowers

The mining industry is much further south-east from me, We have three "farm implement dealerships" and they are all big box stores. (Rural King, Mahindra, John Deere) As far as forklift, truck or heavy equipment repair I can't think of any off hand. We do have a Caterpillar rental/service outlet up the road, I may give them a call.

Charles, Isn't it a shame that we can't even get first pick on our own supply? Won't be long until our paychecks come from China as well...

If you are looking for blacksmith tools etc, go to where blacksmiths gather, not a scrap yard.

Usually the ABA has a spring and fall conference in Ripley WV. There are NO EVENTS listed on the ABA web site for 2015.

Edited by Glenn

You might want to plan around going to Troy, Ohio the last weekend in September to the Quad-States event.  This is the biggest blacksmith tailgating event anywhere.  There is always lots of everything there.  Save up your money...it's only 5 months away.

Quad city in troy is now on my calender.

I will begin my hunt for forklift tines on Monday, I've already emailed Walker CAT about equipment steel.

I'm joining the ABA soon. It appears the website is dead but they do have an active facebook. Aaron Cutright is the current president.

EDIT: Just found the dates for the quad state at http://www.sofablacksmiths.org/

Edited by Technician.Austin
added link