So you want to build a horse

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#121 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Thank you Iron Wolf and Nelson. I hope you all got a good break from lifes dramas and are planning your "next big thing" cheers
Andrew

#122 Ironman50

Ironman50

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Awesome piece of art. With the talent, resourcefulness and focus, the horse will come to life. Very excited on seeing what kind of scraps used for each body part much more on the finished project. Impressive work indeed.

#123 VaughnT

VaughnT

• Members
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationNorthwest SC

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Absolutely amazing work.  

I cannot imagine how neat it must be to be able to look at a pile of rusty scrap bits and pieces, and see a horse and rider.  Fantastic creation, sir.

When reason fails.....

#124 Jack Evers

Jack Evers

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

You say you like input from horseman, I am a couple months shy of my 75th birthday, Only about four of those years, army, first year of college, first year out of college. etc have I been without a horse. I have also competed in the sport that you are portraying and you, Sir, have done an unbelievable job. That is amazing.

#125 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

Ironman50. Yes ! looking for the right bit is the only 'fun' part of the entire process ( other than drinking beer , and staring at the sculpture: planing the next bit / or finding mistakes in the work)
most5 of it is hard work, punctuated by ecstacy when you see something you 'got right'

Vaughn T. im sorry, I dont have the ability you describe. I draw sketches of basic gesture , build a metal internal frame based on those sketches, then I search for ONE part ( maybee ONE nostril) and on it goes from there!

Jack Evers Thank you so much for those kind words!. One of my biggest fears with this project was that I might appear as a 'pretender' , and that the work was not "true" to horse or habit. thank you again.

#126 VaughnT

VaughnT

• Members
  • 2,295 posts
  • LocationNorthwest SC

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

"im sorry, I dont have the ability you describe"

I beg to differ, good sir.  I have looked at many a rusty hitch ball and never once thought it would make for a good cheekbone or chin!  Making that tail out of welded chain was simply brilliant.  The mane?  Yea, I'd never have seen that coming!

Truly there are few in the world with an eye like you possess and I'm sure looking forward to seeing how this all pans out.  Thank you for bringing this into the world.

When reason fails.....

#127 Razzputin

Razzputin

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • LocationCenturion South Africa

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:31 AM

This is truly inspirational to us younger metal workers, it gives us something to aspire to and also to look up to. You sir are one of the masters that make this worthwhile and I hope that one day I will be producing work to a standard similar to your own.

#128 Gibbo

Gibbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSydney Australia

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

I agree drinking beer gets my creative juices flowing
Such is life,
Gibbo

#129 Jakob Faram

Jakob Faram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Incredible work! 
:o

#130 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Thank you Vaughn T , Razzputin, Gibbo and Jacob for those kind words.

Well ......its nearly over. Today the parents do a final inspection. Hopefully the mounting structure will be insalled in concrete in the next week.
Here are some shots taken at home ready for the inspection:( excuse the photography i am just playing with the foto editor programme)
cheers
Andrew

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

IMG_04441.JPG

#131 Whirly

Whirly

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationGulf Country, Northern Territory, Australia

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

Brilliant Mate, just Brilliant.

Where are they going to be set up?

You mentioned somewhere earlier that the whole structure is to be tilted so they are rising, that still the plan?

Cheers,
Whirly

When I stop learning- put me down

#132 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:07 AM

Brilliant Mate, just Brilliant.
Where are they going to be set up?
You mentioned somewhere earlier that the whole structure is to be tilted so they are rising, that still the plan?

thanks whirly....No ive given that idea the flick. the parents and I are very happy with the current stance. Im going to install it at the Shepparton pony Club on the Australia Day (26 Jan) Long weekend. Im worried that the temperature might make another Total Fire Ban which would make it an offence (and stupid) to weld it together on the site. I might see if I can get the whole area wet down (the dry dead grass) by a fire truck. The club intends to place one huge log under the horse as the obstacle being jumped. this will hide most of the central pole.

Gibbo ....where would any of us be without VB longnecks! ( an Australian Beer)

#133 seldom (dick renker)

seldom (dick renker)

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationWilliamson, NY

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

andrew,

this just plain outstanding.

dick   (seldom)

#134 Dillon Sculpture

Dillon Sculpture

• Members
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationAtlanta area

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Beautiful sculpture Andrew, throughout the process, your execution, attention to detail, and enormous talent to bring the material to life has been a joy to watch, thanks for sharing. I love the log idea as well, should complete the sculpture perfectly. What did the weight come in at and does it come apart for transport? 

#135 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Beautiful sculpture Andrew, throughout the process, your execution, attention to detail, and enormous talent to bring the material to life has been a joy to watch, thanks for sharing. I love the log idea as well, should complete the sculpture perfectly. What did the weight come in at and does it come apart for transport? 

thank you Dick(Seldom) and Michael

Yes the sculpture still is made from 25 seperate slip together elements . As I grow older I imagine the number will increase as my strength fails .i estimate the total weight to be around 500 - 600 kg
.I try to keep each part less than 30 kg .
I have now purchased good quality step ladders and expanding tressle work platforms so the assembly is less difficult lifting overhead etc ...........yes we all gunna get old .....may as well adapt as it happens
cheers
Andrew

#136 Gibbo

Gibbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Ah yes vb tallies are the best I have acquired the vb stubby fridge you press the vb symbol and it plays the vb tune and spits out a beer it's just a pity it keeps on emptying and I have to pay for more . So 500 600 kgs ya reckon that's hefty how ya gonna transport her and will it be set in concrete before or after transport?
Such is life,
Gibbo

#137 Gibbo

Gibbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Also how did the inspection go we're Taylor's parents pleased
Such is life,
Gibbo

#138 scrapartoz

scrapartoz

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

Gibbo....... the inspection went very well , The parents noticed apects of both horse and rider that were personal and known ONLY to them....cant say much more ,......other than they were very happy.

I have allready given a square pole and sub structure to a concretor. his engineer will design a slab that will have 4 lifting points . In 5 years time the club intends to move (including the sculpture) So it will be a crane job , and I will not be involved in that shift. However , one week after the inner square post is installed by the concretor I will take my 25 (i think ) piece horse etc and slip my frame pole over the top of the one in concrete . then I will do a small tac welds to hold the 25 pieces as I assemble them. The rest will be history!!!!!!!!(spider infestation ,rust and vandalism) I will use 2 'utes' and a trailer to ransport the sculpture and a Gen / Welder combo as well as tressles / ladders etc
cheers

#139 Gibbo

Gibbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

They would be so touched mate you nailed it but sounds like there's a fair bit more work on the install but it will all be worth it when the last tacs done,spiders I will allow to call it home, rust adds character but if anyone vandalizes this peice i will personally drive out there and kick some ass,let us know when she's installed I'm gonna bring the wife & kiddies out to see it in person.
Such is life,
Gibbo

#140 sfDuck

sfDuck

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

Heres a pic of the other end. You are inspiring and having too much fun.

Aquire the Fire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users