I Forge Iron

Setting Up My Workshop (Image heavy)

TomN

Few images from today!
Made a tool for cooling bars in the water bucket.

SDC10419.jpg

Its ugly as sin, but functional. Didn't burn my hand for the first time in ages!

I then carried on with the tongs I started at the Thame show. Lots of 4lb hammer work and very tiring on the arm!

Here is one tong, with the reins drawn roughly out and then cut off.

SDC10422.jpg

And here is the other one, alongside the first, after a long while of hammering!

SDC10424.jpg

I was giving it some serious welly, to the point where the anvil was moving on the stump and nearly fell off at one point. Had to keep shifting it back into the middle!
Next time I will round up the reins and finish them off properly, then finish the head to hold some 8mm round, as I use that a fair bit.
I think next time I will forge weld the reins on and save my arm and shoulder the fatigue.

At least I managed a pint for lunch. Hobgoblin as well!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hobgoblin is a nice beer. Brewed in the town I live in as well. I used to love black wych stout when they did it. Couldn't drink many these days at 5.6%.

John - I have an anvil stand commisioned with a local place. They are going to tack weld it square, then I will finish it off. Got to buy an arc welder as well. Thats proving an interesting and arduous experience!

Luckily mine isn't too heavy and I can shift it really easily. If I wasn't getting this new anvil stand, then I would have pinned it down as a priority.
I seem to have an endlessly growing list of things I want to make. Might have to start going to the workshop, after work to get bits done. Not sure the wife will be happy with that though.

tom it took me about 2 yrs to get round to pinning the anvil down! even thinking about my feet getting crushed did not hasten me any, sadly....

Oh come on Darlin, falling anvils makes you FAST on your feet.

Seriously though it's never good to have heavy things fall on you so securing your anvil is a really good idea. My old stand is a spruce block I morticed to fit my anvil's foot, it quieted it nicely and is very secure. My new stand is steel, rectangular pipe legs and angle iron frame with a couple little doodads for holding hammers, tongs and such. The steel frame is far quieter than the wood block and darned stable.

Frosty the Lucky.

Frosty the Lucky.

I hadn't realise my anvil was moving to start with, until I took the tongs over for another 20 seconds of whacking, and saw a quarter of the foot of the anvil, over the edge of the stump. Was a surpise to me. Had to shift it about 5 times in the 2 hours, so not too bad.

Just got myself a 7lb sledge that i'm going to grind into a ~6.5lb straight pein hammer on one side, then cut down the handle so it can be used single handled, or as a shart handled sledge. Should help spread the material quicker, by putting big divets in the stock.
I'm going to have to start using my left arm as well, or i'm going to have one massive forearm and one small one.

Got any projects on the go at the moment Beth?

thats a big hammer! i always think its good to use both arms/ hands as much as possible, you never know when you will need you less dominant side... :)
not much urgently needed in the forge at the moment tom, although i will soon make a few things for the next show (whenever it is - i did look!) to come and stand about with you and giles - but im working on some sculptures in clay and plaster at the moment, and also so 2d work for an exhibition. im never sure how to split my limited time!! what are you taking to the next show? my rose trellis's both sold at the exhibition at easter so i might try to make another couple, and some more decorative garden bits...

i'm not making it to the Hatfield show, but should be going to the one the week after. Thats Woburn Abbey on May 19th and 20th.
I've got a commision to finish before I start making things for the next show. From what I saw at the last one, it seems that the things that will sell wel, are small items for about £5, so I will make a load of those. So leaf keyrings, and things of that sort.

I think I will also make up some more drinks holders, as well as as some larger pot holders, as a few people at the show asked if I made any of those!
I think the best way to make money from these shows is to make things for around £10 - £15 to sell, as well as all the little items for £5 and then have the odd big and expensive piece. Taking cards with your details on is a good way to get commisions as well.
I drew out a few designs on a notepad with potential customers and they seemed to like that personal approach!

Got 400kg of good coke last week. 100kg at my workshop, with the other 300kg in my garage.
I've also got my second commission accepted for a fire place companion set. Custom designed with the customer at the Thame show.

Got rained on a lot this weekend. I bought a cheap gazeebo to put up, but it might need some modification to fit around the workshop area.

nice one tom - i love reading your progress reports! i have not been in the owrkshop since easter, but will be tomo :) will try to make some garden bits for woburn abbey. at least then i have got some stuff if i AM able to come. its a start :) really glad to hear about your commision, your getting it well sorted :) look forward to seeing it .

Cheers Beth. Yep things are coming along, bit by bit.
Just FYI, plant pot holders were asked for a number of times at the show in Thame, so that might be a good thing to make!

I am hoping to go to the workshop a few times in the week after work now. Just to get a few bits done and make a little progress on the commissions. Sadly that means I need to get into work early, so I can leave early. I do NOT like mornings though!

After having some serious problems with the rain recently, I decided to try and setup a cheap gazeebo to try and keep the rain off a bit.
Had a go at it today, when it was raining and windy. Got it up and tied some heavy breeze blocks to each corner to anchor it down, then tied another bit of rope to a post that is conreted into the ground and looped it around the top junction and then tied it to a brick, and put that brick at the bottom of a pile!

Pictures below:

3EbZD.jpg
jgCF2.jpgJFZaq.jpg6xWEy.jpgSEtR7.jpg

Every join has been gaffer taped and all knots have been gaffer taped and held together with cable ties as well.
Hoping it will stand up to a windy and rainy night tonight!
Last image shows it with a side attached, which is just a tarpaulin that has been cable tied to the bars.

Love to read your daily activity logs, Tom. Your work is certainly impressive!

One thing I've noted is that you haven't built a hold-fast or "third hand" for your anvil. Working by myself, I find both to be invaluable for holding stock while I punch/drift/groove stock.

Can't wait to see how your anvil stand works out for you.

Thanks VaughnT.
The hold down tool, is on my rather large 'to do' list. Currently surviving without it!
The anvil stand, I am still waiting on.

I had last week off work to work on some commissions. Sadly I got ill and didn't get a lot done.
I did get over and do some more setting up of the gazeebo, so I can work in the rain though.

vKPyk.jpg
vdKAb.jpg

As you can see from the above pictures, the gazeebo now has 4 'sides' to it, made from tarpaulins. 2 are permanently closed and the other 2 can be drawn back and fastened to a corner, when i'm using the forge.
The forge needs to be kept outside of the gazeebo as it will possibly set it on fire with me in it. Not really willing to take that risk. But everything else is inside and I have so far managed to keep almost totaly dry whilst using it.
Once i've finished for the day I put everything inside the gazeebo and close up the sides. As you can see I keep all the electrical equipment off the damp floor, by placing it on a pallette.

I made a start to a commission. on a couple of wall brackets, for a kitchen shelf.
Only did a day on them before I got too ill to carry on.
These were designed with the customer at the Thame show, to their exact specifications.

Here are the backing plates.

ax7r6.jpg

The shiny part on the top one, is where I got some clinker stuck to the metal and couldn't get it off. So I used an angle grinder and a flap wheel to smooth it out.
Unfortunately the clinker burn into the metal a little and left some pockmarks in the surface. Not sure if I will be able to fill them in. in any way, or if I will have to make a new one.

There are 2 holes in the ends to screw the plate into the wall. Then a square hole punched for the tenon, of the crossbar, with a countersink on the back of the plate.
There is also another round hole, for a rivet to attach the scroll near the bottom of the plate, which is also countersunk.

Here is an image of the back of the plate, with the square hole and its countersink.

X8Gpz.jpg

Here is an image of the square 'plug'.

8OEgZ.jpg

I will put in some more images soon and try and keep this updated, as I go along.

• 4 months later...

After a massive lull in activity, over the extremely wet summer I am back to doing little bits of work on the workshop.
I recently got made redundant, and whe not job searching, or trying to keep the wife happy I am trying to get some things sorted with the forge.
Things have gone a bit sour over there. I left a load of stuff out in the rain and lots of my tools got rusted. They anvil top is a bit orse for wear as well. Can't believe I forgot about it all out there.

I have now moved into the house where my forge is, so can work more frequently on it now.
I have started on welding up my new anvil stand. Once I have it together i'm going to forge some 'extra's' to weld onto it, then paint it up.

I have also commisioned a stand for my big leg vice as well.

I will bring along new photo's soon.

Finding a job is extremely difficult at the moment. Might be time to think about making some things to sell and see how I go.
I'm also thinking about going to Hereford College from October to do their blacksmithing course, as many of the design and instilation modules look very usefull.

Finding a job is extremely difficult at the moment. Might be time to think about making some things to sell and see how I go.
I'm also thinking about going to Hereford College from October to do their blacksmithing course, as many of the design and instilation modules look very usefull.

Good idea Tom if you can afford it, or get a grant, WCB sometimes give bursaries for there. Also I believe there are a couple of places available on the NHIG intake if you qualify.

Thanks John. I got in contact with the NHIG and they have filled all their places for this year.

I have up till mid October to decide if I am going to take up the opportunity to train at Hereford.
My only problem is getting a job whilst its on, because I will need 5 weeks off a year to train and I am also training to join the TA at the moment too.

Got some possible jobs lined up, and if I get them i'd like to make blacksmithing a thing to make a bit of extra money from, as the jobs lined up are poorly paid.

Lee - Thanks. I've had a good look over the courses and they seem sensibly structured to me. I'm definately not the artst type. I'm more old fashioned and go for the functional over the pretty. However, I don't mean that I would just knock out any rubbish if it works, it has to be well made. I don't like half arsed jobs!

Got some possible jobs lined up, and if I get them i'd like to make blacksmithing a thing to make a bit of extra money from, as the jobs lined up are poorly paid.

Are they poorly paid? or are they poorly quoted? The danger when starting up is to be frightened to charge a realistic figure .

This does not matter so much if its just a hobby, but a craftsman made job should command craftsman's rates, Each job does have an intrinsic educational value when you are starting, you will have to decide what that is worth.

You will know when it is time to put your prices up when other 'smiths start buying stuff off you and then just putting a mark up on and selling them on as theirs.

Good luck and all the best in your endeavours, I hope you get sorted.

Lee - No offence was meant. Artist blacksmith to me, makes me think more of the sort of pieces that serve no function, but cost thousands. Its for some people, but not for me.
Something functional, that is further embilished is fine by me! I'm just old fashioned.

John - The poorly paid jobs, were actually full time jobs, not commisions.
One of them is in forrestry for example. But they are jobs I will enjoy and be happy to do. Will try and do more smithing in my spare time, to build up skills and start selling pieces.

See you next weekend John. Any particular type of cake you fancy me bringing down?