Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

pickling copper

9 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Can anyone give some input on the best and cheapest way to pickle copper aqfter anealing

Posted · Report post

Really depends on how good you need. When I am in a hurry I use Vinegar with good results.

Posted · Report post

At work we sometimes have to bright dip parts that we zone annealed, and all we use is CLR, same stuff that you use in the bathroom to remove Calcium Lime,& Rust. Takes just a few seconds clean the oxides off.

Posted · Report post

At work we sometimes have to bright dip parts that we zone annealed, and all we use is CLR, same stuff that you use in the bathroom to remove Calcium Lime,& Rust. Takes just a few seconds clean the oxides off.

Posted · Report post

I use Sparex #2 which works quite well and is commonly available at jewelry suppliers. I have been told that Ph down, which is sold for swimming pool maintenance, is roughly the same chemical and cheaper besides. You mix them with water to make your pickle solution.

Posted · Report post

An old crock pot marked NOT FOR FOOD USE makes a great pickle holder as you can set it to low and hot pickle works faster!

(and I second Sparex #2/ph minus)

Posted · Report post

Ph down and hydrogen peroxide. When done pickling alot of copper you can use the solution to plate steel, duel purpose

Posted · Report post

Really depends on how good you need. When I am in a hurry I use Vinegar with good results.

Do you add any salt?

Posted · Report post

For me the easiest to get and cheapest is PH down or PH minus seen it labeled both ways.
I buy it at Walmart. It is for balancing the ph in a pool or spa. According to the label same material as sparex but a lot cheaper. Mix as much as will displve in hot water.

Also good to cleaning scale from iron but dont use the same batch to do both as Iron in the solution used for copper the copper will come out of suspension and coat the steel

Some peole are alergic to it so were gloves and dont get it on skin.