I Forge Iron

Blade beveling

Maybe I am in the wrong section, but I was wondering what are some good methods for getting a nice visible bevel in the blade, straigt, and even?, is this something best done while forging or can it be done while filing? any suggestions on the best methods?

I'm sure many will input here but I'll start with the basics as I know them. You can beat the bevels in or you can grind or file them in or you can rough them in by heat and beat and finish with grinding and filing. Bladesmiths tend to develop one method or another and stick with it. This of course IMHO, but as in most blacksmithing, if it works for you and doesn't hurt you, your tools, the neighbors cat, or others around you, it isn't wrong.

as much as I love to forge to finished, the only way I have found to get clean even and straigh bevel is to grind them. I tend to make mostly full flat blades rather than sabre and NEVER Scandi ground blades, so I don't often need to worry about uneven grind lines.

I've found that filing is slow and can give you crisp edges but can be wavy.

Grinding is crisp but can easily git out of control fast.

Forge as close to design as posssable , stay straight and leave enough to grind -file to shape.

No quick easy way, just takes practice .

I thank you all:

I fing it hard to keep an even edge when I am grinding something, but on the other hand, when using the file, I find I get a rounded bevel on each side, what are some ways in which I can fix these problems?

Do some research on draw-filing (a recent thread on here, by the way).

You are apparently letting the steel dictate the angle of your file (following it in a curve) instead of establishing an angle and maintaining that angle as you remove material.
Try to discipline your hands to work like a machine; visualize the bevel and lock into that angle.

I have seen some folks who teach grinding that will cut out wood blade blanks and have the students work at grinding on them until they get the feel for it. Never tried it myself, but it makes good sense.

Don

Dude, forge it as close as possible to shape. Be careful with dents and pits, which will be tough to remove. Try to forge as clean as possible, in other words, keep the scale low. File work is tough at first, but in time will yield awsome results. About forging straight and even, thats comes with practice. Ask the dudes here for hammering tips, these guys are awsome! God bless!

First off do some filing practice if you get rounded or wavy rsults, I find it works good to lock your arms at the side and move the file with your hips, and definately learn to draw file, I used to suck at filing then i read the complete modern blacksmith, and it has a very good chapter on file control and projects to help you out.

Hey,

I am very new at this. I tend to forge close to shape and then file/grind. I use a combo of both. Files can set a bevel accurately with not too much effort, and then you can feel the bevel on the platen when you grind with a sharp belt. This way, the developing blade is its own grinding guide.

Also, when forging, after mostly shaped, switch to a light and very smooth/flat hammer. This won't move a lot of metal, but a few runs up and down the blade (in small heats) will smooth things out, remove pits, etc. This really reduces the amount of time you have to spend grinding and filing.

This is what works for me, its true that you will have to find your own way through experiment (it seems at this early stage to me, anyway).

good luck,

kevin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Make a hunderd blades and get back to us...metal work is a time consuming thing to learn, make more learn more kind of thing. Don't take offense...it takes experience to develop muscle memory and skill.

But muscles must be trained to remember properly, or the hundred blades will only teach the smith to do it badly a hundred times more efficiently.

What steps would you recommend to encourage the development of good muscle memory? Filing or grinding or both? Jigged or freehand grinding? Stationary grinding equipment or hand held portable?

pay close attention to how your body feels and looks when you forge, also at how the tools and metal feel and look. That way when you achieve teh correct blow you have something to replicate.

I used to do a lot of archery and there was a saying that making the perfect shot is easy, but making it consistanly is very hard to do. Same with forgin or anything else that requires accurate muscle memory.

Just concentrate on feeling for the right blow. not easy to describe I'm afraid