I Forge Iron

Mystery machine

Any ideas what this machine is used for ??? It operates like a punch press, single stroke, but if you hold your foot down it cycle continously. There is a large screw that adjusts the hight of the lower table. The machine is very nicely made. I feel compelled to find a use for it as a blacksmithing tool.

thing1.jpg

brad

I don't know much about printing machines but when I saw it my first thoughts were that it could possibly be an embossing machine.

As for the metal application it would seem to make a very nice planishing hammer for sheetmetalwork if you replace the table and top tool.

I wouldn't mind having something like that.

The guy who currently owns it uses it to squish beer cans. The machine has too much of a stroke and does not run fast enough to planish effectively.

I was thinking of removing the lower table and having a sleeve with a square hole inserted into it kind of like the lower tool holder of a Pullmax nibbler.

Not sure how much I would be willing to pay though ... so many tools and so little money forces me to make hard decision.

brad

Years ago a buddy of mine had an "old school" printshop - Letterpresses, Linotype hot type machine, manual stitchers etc.

He had a machine similar to the picture for doing deep (multi-sheet) die-cutting. His was set up with a square table which accepted jigs for accurate placement of the dies. I wonder if this machine is something along those lines?

I'd love to have it for doing pre-forms on my hammered vessel work!

There are many sizes of this type press so I cannot answer the question.
I only saw it working.
Iis a very dengerous machin ! it is foot opperated and many people dameged sevirly one hand because of it.
If you are going to use the press for your production pay attention that both hands ar out of the ramm place!! and do not let children to play with!!!!!!!!!
HOFI