I Forge Iron

Forge Came in Today

John Martin

Well, my two burner diamondback bladesmith forge came in today, I love it and I haven't even fired it yet, need to buy tape for the threads still, but anyhow here are pictures...

I also bought the idler valve, should fire it up by the end of this week, will get pictures for sure. next to do is make my stand for it, but for now, i have a temp stand out in the shop "area"

11738.attach

11739.attach

11740.attach

Well, my two burner diamondback bladesmith forge came in today, I love it and I haven't even fired it yet, need to buy tape for the threads still, but anyhow here are pictures...

I also bought the idler valve, should fire it up by the end of this week, will get pictures for sure. next to do is make my stand for it, but for now, i have a temp stand out in the shop "area"

Congrats, you're gonna love it!!! I've had mine for almost 2 years with no problems at all. I also just added the idler valve a couple of months ago, very easy to set up and adjust. It has already payed for itself in gas savings.
ENJOY!!!!!!

Woo Hoo! I am waiting for my bonus check to come in to buy one too! I am tired of my WhisperBaby just not getting hot enough to weld.

I made the 1" "T" burner for a buddy's Whisper Momma and it has no problem welding. he ended up having to remount the forge so it wouldn't light his bench on fire through the steel top.

Yeah, that's me, I put the ear muffs on, someone asked me a question and I spent the rest of the session with them perched on my head. Good thing I don't hit the anvil very often.

Frosty

11765.attach

Hey M,

Congrats. I've had the same unit for about 4 months. My 1st forge. Works good, but I haven't tried forge welding with it yet. Only problem I had was the small strip of insulation above each opening breaking and falling down.I replaced both pieces with a piece of kaowool (rigidized) and all is well.

-jj

Looks great!

Two questions:

Is there a difference between the "idler valve" on the diamondback forge and the "shut-off" (plan old ball valve) valve that comes with a WhisperMomma forge?

Also does the Diamondback have an igniter? I like having the ability of pushing a button rather than inserting burning paper.

Edited by UnicornForge

Sorry about the poor pictures it hotter and brighter than it looks and deeper in color, bad camera, but here are pics of it. These are all taking in the first three minutes of lighting it, running at 3psi. The piece of metal isn't a dull red, but a bright orange, almost yellow, bad camera.

11813.attach

11814.attach

11815.attach

11816.attach

11817.attach

Jerry - My bad, I thought you were being serious, hard to tell on the internet :)

Sam - It'd be nice if it was 3" tall, but the inside opening is 3.5" tall, so not a big deal.

The forge runs at around 3-5psi for normal forging, forged a seax today and some viking knives based off of these on dfoggs site: prop knives - Bladesmith's Forum Board and my own axe from an old sledge hammer :0, ill try and get pictures up later.

Edited by m_brothers

Don't apologize John, I'm the one who didn't stick a smiley in the message.

I'm just kind of excited for you. I can't tell you how good it is to see a young man who's willing, heck anxious to work for what he wants and parents willing to back you.

Jer

Not trying to hijack here or anything, but I made a cheap version today. I had the Reil burner and had to fill the propane tank. I used insulating firebrick, and it gets hot. I can actually join the club instead of using my Al furnace. I made a scorp from my broken drawknife and made another drawknife. They're in the oven now so will post pics later. Just wanted to share.

11848.attach

11849.attach

Cool peter, I like it a lot.

Hey guys, since I've never used one of these before, I experienced the dreaded tank freezing thing last night when I was welding. If I should the tank, it'd pop back up to pressure for about a minute, so it was heat, hammer, shake tank, heat, etc...

How do I prevent the freezing up, how much gas do I probably have left, and is a bigger tank better in the long run? like 40 or 60lb?

Welds at 7psi and runs at 4psi for normal working.