I Forge Iron

Longer term schools

I think it is possible to schedule back-to-back courses at most of the school.

I know that the Penland School in Nth Carolina offers 8 week - intensive classes -with the same instructor.

There is a school in Canada that I believe is offering a 17 week class.

Check out the ABANA web site (ABANA.org) and look under their educational opportunities.

Ozark School of Blacksmithing in Potosi, MO is a week long school--Mon-Fri. Cost includes 1 meal and motel room! The school that Robb Gunter has, well his sons run it now, has some week long classes. Just to name a couple of other schools. I have taken a class at the Ozark school, EXCELLANT! This is my recommendation as well as the Gunter's school. I have not taken a class there....yet, but have been to the school and it is top of the line. Great facility.

The American College of the Building Arts

This school has a 2 or 4 year program in Blacksmithing/forging.
wonderful classes that start with all the basic hand forging then move into all the joining, all the way to modern tools in your last years, IE power hammer, arc welders.
This school also has classes in drafting, drawing, construction history, and all your core class's, math, English, ext

The American College of the Building Arts

We lost Tom Clark and Alfred Haberman this year, both of which held some of the best blacksmithing courses in the world. I was fortunate to spend quite some time with both of them. Tom used to hold week long classes with some really great smiths such as Uri Hofi, Bob Patrick, Bill Bastas, and Tsur Sedan. I also feel very fortunate to have spent time with these smiths except for Uri Hofi whom I've only met briefly. I hope to be able to work with Hofi before I'm done, and I would encourage anyone who is able to get these people to you or go see them while you can.
Alfred Habermann taught 1and 2 week courses at Helfstien castle in the Chech Republic for 25 years from May- September almost non-stop. I am not sure if those courses will continue. I know there was talk of Carl Buress teaching the classes. If they continue, they are one of the best ways of learning blacksmithing. You spend most of the time making tool after tool with a striker and you having to strike for the other guy. Have you seen my hammers and top tools or Hofi's? That's where we learned to forge those tools