I Forge Iron

cutting tool steel sheets

Dave Budd

Here's one for you. Some time ago I bought some EN47 steel for bladestock. Trouble was that when it turned up it was in sheets (or is that plate?) :rolleyes::mad: The sheets are mostly around the 1/4" thick mark and vary from 5-15" wide, in 4' lengths

What suggestions are there for me to cut the stuff unto strips that I can then forge blades from?

I've no gas torches, so gas axe is out. No plasma cutters either. I have angle grinders, which is what I must've had in mind when I sent the driver on his way after it all arrived.

I can forsee a lot of grinding coming up unless there is a cunning alternative?

One thing that did cross my mind was maybe a bench shear? Or maybe making the blades for a shear and fitting them to my flypress? Not sure what thickness I could cut cold though?

any suggestions are most welcomed :)

A few suggestions...

These are assuming the steel is annealed....

A band saw... even a relatively inexpensive one with a good blade will work.

You could call or take a piece to a large metalworking shop and ask for pricing for shearing.

If you want to get the ball rolling, you could use a zip-disk on your angle grinder. This may be a little expensive, but will let you get started. Buy good discs though.

Not sure I fancy cold chiseling it? The smallest width I have is about 4"x1/4"

John, I have been thinking about a decent set of bench shears. What sort of width and thickness is realistic with them? I've had an offer of running the sheets through a guillotene, though they need to check it will cope.

thanks guys

Pick up a skill saw at a hock shop and put a 7" cut off blade in it. You'll have a lot more control than trying to use a cutoff wheel in a right angle grinder.

The down side is the dust will kill the skill saw sooner than later, still you can get quite a bit of cutting from one. Maybe blowing it out regularly with the air hose will prolong it's life. It'll still wear it out sooner than normal, that's why I suggest a hock shop or flea market saw.

Frosty

Abrasive cuttoff wheels in 4" grinder. would would work for smaller cuts. just score 1/2 to 3/4" the way through and break the res of the way in vise. Use a large cresent or pipe wrench for leverage. Improvise, adapt and overcome ;)

Or what Frosty said :D

You said you are going to forge the blades, so that means you have heat. Mark it cold with a cold chiesl then heat it up and use a hot cut. It is fast when you get on to it, and it will let you cut curved lines with almost no stock loss. You can make a pretty good hot cut from an old spring weld or rivet on a handle, spend no money.

You said you are going to forge the blades, so that means you have heat. Mark it cold with a cold chiesl then heat it up and use a hot cut. It is fast when you get on to it, and it will let you cut curved lines with almost no stock loss. You can make a pretty good hot cut from an old spring weld or rivet on a handle, spend no money.

nice idea, but I don't fancy moving a sheet of hot steel that weighs 50lbs around the workshop and trying to cut it :D

I'll most liokely cut a few bits off with an angle grinder until I get to a more cost effective solution. I do make lots of knives (it's my main occupation ;) ), but I use several different steels and this is a new one for me to try out really :rolleyes:

If you have access to an air compressor... I have used the 4'' cutting wheel attachment to cut sheets, it works, but the air runs low quickly... I have also used a jigsaw not on 1/4 inch though, that would be a LOT of blades... I like the skill saw and band saw ideas.
If you go with the angle grinder, i would look for a thinner disk.
good luck!

Actually, using a hot-cut is a good idea. You don't need to heat up a large piece. First use another method to cut your stock into widths that you want blades to be in length, then use a hot cut to make cross cuts in that stock.

Also, do your hot cutting on a piece of plate (on the anvil) that you have heated in your forge.