I Forge Iron

Today's forging...misc.

Today was just one of those days! The weather was perfect, I felt good, and everything just flowed smoothly together.
First, I worked on some of the hooks for the curtain rods I'm doing. We have 5 double windows and I need three hooks per window! That's one leaf hook on each end and a standard J in the middle. 1/4" round for the hooks! I got 5 leaf hooks done and started on one of the rods! I don't have any pictures of those yet.
Before I started on that I docided to make some tongs! I haven't made a pair on my own yet. (shame since I been forging the past 2 + years) I've done one pair for 3/8" round with another blacksmith but he superintended the whole thing. That was over a year ago, and I still haven't made my own pair. I realy needed some tweezer tongs to help with the curtain rod so I made a pair. They work but they "ain't" heaven. However they are sturdey and strong! I made them out of 1/2" square about 7 inches long!
DSC01153.jpg
Opened!
DSC01154.jpg
The mouth opened!
DSC01156.jpg
FFF
DSC01157.jpg

Dave Custer

Also forgot to mention that I got to use my supposedly cast iron anvil. I used it's perfect edges to help with the tongs! The anvil has absolutely no ring but it will bounce the hammer into your face if your not carefull. I took a light ball peen and slammed it ball side first onto the face and it didn't dent it at all!!! I also worked the 1/2 square used for the tongs on the edge with no damage to the anvil. Finally I hit it with the 2 1/2# cross peen (Face first:)) with no defect! So I'f it is an ASO then someone must have welded a realy good hard plate on it!