I Forge Iron

anvil id aswell sorry!!

this is probably a tough one as its coated in paint and god knows what else, it was like that when i bought it
although it has an x down towards the bottom, and i think its got a face welded on (i dont know )
just hoping that one of yopu knowledgeable people will see it and say hey thats a ,,,,,,,
have tried to work it out and searched forums on here but i cant work it out also being in britain perhhaps doesnt help
thanks again guys

11190.attach

Hmmmmm. I have a Sodorfors and it's the finest anvil I've ever struck. It doesn't look like this one but they made a lot of different styles and variations. There's no crown on mine though. It's a cast steel body so all the markings are raised. It reads, Sodorfors Sweden on one side and Sorceress #5 125 lbs. on the other.

I'd LOVE to have a 200lb+ Sodorfors, dearly and truly.

Frosty

thanks for the input guys,,
well i cant see basicly anything heh the waist is definately narrower than the face tho,,
and frosty if i sand it flush the paint will remain on the indentations right , which will give me a better view than using paint stripper or something i guess good thinking,,
the surface looks so knobbly think ill have to sand off quite a bit heh , thanks again guys

It looks like a Brooks to me. What are the dimensions and the weight? Get those and then go to Vaughans (Hope Works) - For all your Blacksmith, Foundry, Farrier needs. Now available Ironworkers and Bending machines There they have a chart with the precise dimensions and weights of all their anvils. If it is a Brooks then you have got yourself a superb anvil.

I wonder if some of those "markings" are actually just where someone has been arc welding and has arced up on the side of the anvil. What was it used for before you got it.

That waistline says Swedish to me... Frosty??

I can't say just from looking at it but from what I've seen Sodorfors tend to have narrower waists and smoother lines to the face and heel with longer narrower horns. A more gracile profile than a typical London pattern.

Someone posted some pics of their Sodorfors anvils and they were more robust than mine so I just don't know.

This is mine. 125lb Sorceress #5 is stamped into the other side but as you can see Sodorfors Sweden is proud of the surface and from what I understand was a feature of the iron molds used to make them.

Frosty

11221.attach

11222.attach

hey all , thanks for responses
well ive just gone and measured him up and it appears my waistline is only very slightly slimmer than the face so sorry bout that almost an optical illusion bit is slimmer but only by just over an 8 of inch ill go check vaughns hope works now ,, as for the weight im not sure if its possible at the mo
well philip in china i bought him off ebay and went to birmingham to collect it was out of an engineering place so its possible althjough the markings look rather similar on both sides and are well centred on the flanks, that is all i know of its history which is a bit annoying,
so noone has ever seen this x on the bottom then? also im sure she is cast but the face protrudes kind of so am i correct in assuming that it is welded on ,, is this good?!
thanks again

Frosty, are you suggesting that my Brooks is obese? You and I could fall out over such a suggestion!

Did I say obese? . . . Hmmmm?

I said robust as in stout and strong.

I think you have some weight issues there buddy. Does your anvil look obese to YOU? How does that make you feel? What do you think you could do about it?

Do you beat your anvil for being obese? :o

Call me, we can talk. :cool:

Frosty Edited by Frosty