I Forge Iron

Trailer Demo Set up

Hey Y`all,
I am getting a small trailer from a feller and a tool box for a trade in a fab job of mine. I plan on making the trailer my demo rig. I want to have a coal/charcoal forge , anvil, post vice and fuel storage and quench bucket on it. I also plan on making or getting a steel box to attach to the front or the tongue of the trailer to put my hand tools in. I was also wondering about maybe welding 4 pices of pipe in the corners and having a roof on it to keep it out of the weather when not in use. How does all does sound? Please tell me what you think and ideas you have. If you have pictures of smillar rigs please post pics of em.
Chris

I built a demo trailer from an old Datsun pick up bed. I extended the frame in the front to both make room for a forge and a tool box.
The forge has a folding SS cover, and I have a stack to carry off the smoke. If you go to
Blacksmiths Gallery'
you can see some details. I did a blueprint for this site but it is in the unobtainable #s.

Sabre, yes I extended the shaft. I pinned a 1/2" universal from a cheap ratchet tool set on the blower, and a nut was pinned to the shaft of the crank. This allows for any misalignment in the saft as the little sheet metal Buffalo blower has weak bushing at the crank. This also allows me to disconnect the crank from the blower when driving to prevent a hangup from killing the blower. I also removed the drip lube button on top the blower case and threded an 1/8" pipe to nylon tube fitting in. I connected the tube to a Gits brand drip oiler that is up in the drop down shelf area to allow control and filling. This little blower is soooo smooth now. I have it drip a drop about once a minute. A half tea cup of oil runs all day. I have a pan under to catch it as it drips out the case.

HammerKid, Look the youtube bit over and you can get a good idea of my demo set up. Note the post vice and smoke stack. Even though it was pretty windy that day the smoke was mostly going up the stack and away from me and the crowd. Not the big box behind the forge, that is an electrical enclosure off an old machine. Gasketed door, and it was free.

i use a inclosed trailer to haul my portable forge setup ... one thing to remember is to keep the anvil from moveing around in the trailer and in fact any thing heavy should have some method to keep it from moveing... i do historical events so my trailer has places for my tent poles shelves for my boxes of finished ironwork as well as mounting brackets to hold my folding tables and display boards ... think about balance as you load especially on a single axle trailer ... you only want a couple hundred pounds on the toungue max on a small trailer ... check your wheel bearings and keep um greased ... and dont go over the rated max for the axle... been there done that it wasnt pretty...... and if you get new tires remember there is a reason trailer tires are made cause they have a different sidewall ... you can in some applications get away with truck tires with multiple ply sidewalls but i think trailer tires are a better bet...oho and if you plan on doing any hardening use crisco or a beeswax mix instead of oil ... once it cools it wont spill everywhere as easy as oil (another life lesson) .good luck!

I don't do historical demos, so my antique Datsun is OK :)
I have places to stow my hand crank drill press, the anvil and the tools. My big table has removable legs that go on top. It also has a couple of little steel wheel that run in the floor channels. This way I can pick up the end and it rolls back to me. I load that table with buckets of coal and stell etc. There is a frame that holds a display easel, and another table as well as my hammer stand. Everything has a place and to balance the trailer.
I did make a new axle, as the differential was a drag to gas milage.

Crhis, Not to much to see inside. Just stored stuff:) I did do photos of everything including setting it up for the blueprint. I just wish it was available.
Early April will be my first demo in Utica Indiana. Just across the river form Louisville Ky. Run up and have a good visit, hit the Frazier Historical arms Museum and the slugger museum and have a full weekend.