I Forge Iron

Hi farmer_Gal here

farmer_Gal

Hello im new here, I have a peter wright pantent england anvil 200 plus and its stamped on the side, i was wondering is it worth much, a auction man offered me $200.00 for it are we getting ripped of, it is before 1880, my mother watched her grandfather working on it when she was a small child. its in very good condition it takes 2 men to lift it, it has a long ring when u bang it. please some help would be good it was left in the will along with the 80 year old plus farm.:cool:

that number on the side is Engglish hundred weights,

Multiply first number by 112 lbs,
second number by 28 lbs, this number will never be more than 3, its quarters of a hundred weight
just add last number, its in lbs.

And yes, $200 is a big steal. Peter Wrights in good shape usually bring $2 a pound or more.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! Your treasure weighs 289lbs and the $2.00 Jr. mentioned in the above post is only a STARTING price! I have seen these go for upwards of $4.00 per lb. Condition is a consideration of price tho. Look at the top of the anvil, does it have chips or cracks on the edge or face? Is it worn badly? Seeing you mentioned that it has a long ring indicates there are no major cracks, that's good! IF, and that's a big word, you decide to sale it, please consider selling to a blacksmith. There are a couple of good grouops in your area and I'm sure someone would be glad to have it. Better yet, how about joining a group and learn how to use this little darling?! The satisfaction you will receive from taking a piece of raw metal and making anything is surpassed by very little! Could you possible post a picture or 2? And once again, welcome.

its in very good order. it ringed even when i was rubing of the barn dust to see the wording on the side, as i said before a man who came down the farm from a auction company wanted to buy it for himself for $200.00 australian dollars, and ty for the welcome I will get a photo of it so you could mybe price it for me as i really have no idea in such things. thanks:)

Edited by farmer_Gal

I'm not sure of the Au to US $ but $200 is way too cheap for that anvil, even if it is only in fair cond.
If you want to see anvils sell for top dollar try watching some on ebay, you would think some of them were made of gold, but they are mostly collectors buying them, I can't imagine any blacksmith paying those prices, not this one anyway.
However, I don't know what kind of money people in Au would pay for it, but if it's really mint cond. then it wouldn't surprise me if someone in another country would but it and pay to have it shipped, I have seen anvils on ebay sell for as much as $8 a lb.
Well which ever way you decide to go with I wish you good luck, maybe you might just want to keep it and use it yourself, it is an excellant hobby.

welder19

G'Day Farmer-Gal , where abouts in OZ are you ?

Yes , it " could " make you the $ 800 AUD element quoted

But about $ 2.00 AUD a lb sounds about rite , althou it mite go higher or lower , just depends on who wants to buy it .

Don't let the Auction Agent " steal " it from you

Farmer-Gal , need pictures to be able to give a better price idea of your anvil

Dale Russell

You won,t have any problem selling that anvil if its in the shape you say its in.Just dont sell it to an auctioneer or any type of dealer.Ask a fair price,and sell it to some one like your grandpa who in return will get many years of use out of it.[it could be the old boy just down the road].....THE BEST OF LUCK

Hell, I'll steal it from you at $300! :D Seriously, as Dale will tell you, we have the 'old tool collector' problem in Oz, just as you do in the States. And with fewer anvils to go around, I often see battered ones going for way silly prices.
Let's see some photos & as Dale says, we can then come up with an idea of value.