I Forge Iron

Butterfly Hinges - info req'd

Hello,
I have just received a telephone enquiry about making some butterfly hinges from a client. They are to match some existing hinges in a log cabin.

From the conversation, it seems the hinges are to be made from barstock and not from folded/doubled sheet steel. A rough finish (yea rust) would be appreciated with a

Hi Mark, Just forge up as per strap hinges including punched holes, and cut out centre area of pin with two hacksaw cuts and chisel out the centre, mark out from this on other hinge then saw in and chisel off at each end of the other hinge and fit and rivet pin lightly in place

Sorry, my poor English!

The new (butterfly) hinges are to match a style of hinges already in the cabin (Rustic) not other butterfly hinges. (sorry for the mix-up)

I'm looking for stock sizes and time.

All hinges that I have made have had a larger journal/pin than what I think is required in a butterfly hinge.

Do you still pre-curve the bar across its width to accommodate the turning of the eye to leave a straight walled cylinder when finished?

When I saw Bob Patrick demo making a butterfly hinge, he used sheet stock, rolled both barrels and then cut the parts he didn't need out with a hacksaw and a cold chisel for removing the center part, and filed the barrels where they met in the center for a nice fit. then hammered the butterfly part to make it spread, then punched holes. if that helps. My own experience you need to roll the very end up first before completely rolling the barrels so that you don't have a straight part instead of a completely rolled barrel.

So Mark, any other questions?

Nope! That was it, stock requirements and time.

I was unsure as to whether or not to bend the stock across its width as a start to rolling the eye for this - lighter stock. You mentioned that you do pre-bend... that's good enough for me.

Thanks to all who answered the call.

The butterfly hinges I made for Ft. Ligonier about 8 years ago were all forge welded as the originals in their collection. I used 1/8" by 1 1/2" stock. I roughed out a bunch of one side of the hinges at a time. I bent about 2" over the edge of the anvil and formed a sharp 90 degree bend, then wrapped it back onto itself to form the barrel around a 3/16" pin. I did get a little of the bowing, but forced it back when reheating. I welded the overlap, spread out (alternating cross peen and face of hammer,) to the desired width. I cleaned up the barrel and cut off from the bar. The rest was bench work to cut and file the "wings" as well as the barrels to fit, outside of setting the pins as I did peen both ends. I don't ember the time, but I would estimate about an hour for a finished pair. (4 welded up identical sides.) I would not do these for less then $75.00 a pair.

Edited by Jymm Hoffman
spelling

. I don't remember the time, but I would estimate about an hour for a finished pair. (4 welded up identical sides.) I would not do these for less then $75.00 a pair.

I agree - possibly a little more... although they do not want any clean up other than scale removal - and that I do in a pickle of white vinegar.

I would normally weld a hinge eye as I have a trick little design that comes with it. I think I will stick with Gerald's design of a rolled eye only and cut down on the time and drawing down requirement of 1/4 inch thick (1/8 starting thickness) at the weld.

Thanks for your input Jymm