I Forge Iron

New to I Forge Iron

Hello all,

I am new to this and want to take up forging as a hobby. It would be great to get some insight and mentoring on how to start. I have room to build forges and have a considerable shop. I just don't know where to start and how to build the forges. Any help would be great.

Welcome, your going to find folks of every level of knowledge and ability here. You probably will want to go to the top and click on UserCP and enter your location. Glenn has reported that there are more than 50 countries represented and location can have a lot to do with some of the things that you may ask or know.

Look forward to seeing you around IFI

James

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! First of all what ironrosefarms said about giving us your location is very important, we could help you get hooked up with a blacksmith group or individual close to you. Also, if you are in my area I have forges, blowers, anvils that I pick up from time to time for folks just like you. I fix them where needed (I don't do anything to the anvil tho.) and sale for what I have in them. My way of helping get newbies started. See how important your location is?;) Anyway, welcome to IFI, enjoy your stay.

Monk2war, I also welcome you to I Forge Iron.
It looks like to me as though a well qualified ad hock committee of blacksmiths have already met you at the of the cyber space Smithy door.
At this time I could not add anything more to what these skilled craftsmen have already said.
Although I suggest the following;
1. Now is the time for you to get some good study time in. It will help you ask more beneficial questions as you grow in the craft.
2. Try to find a blacksmith in your area who will take you under his/her wing.
Note: We have many stellar female artist blacksmiths in the industry.
3. Try to find a Blacksmith organization near you.
If you find a blacksmith or an organization to assist you, it will answer a lot of start up questions real fast.
If you would consider indicating where you live, we could possibly lend you a hand in finding someone in your area to assist you.
In the mean time, I would direct you to the