I Forge Iron

Anvil height on power hammer?

Welcome aboard Doug.

If you're the only one going to use it, make it a good working height for you. Between crotch and belt height for me. This would include the height of dies, mounting plates, etc.

If you'll click on "User CP" at the top of the page and edit your profile to show your location you'll find the folks living close enough to visit and help directly. Us old farts won't have as much trouble remembering who's close when we're traveling if we need a nap, tasty snack, etc.

Frosty

Thanks

I don't know since I've never worked on one. I have a friend in Burbank with a Sahinler
maybe I should go visit him. The work and welding tables in my shop are about 40" that
is about what I was thinking. I've heard an anvil should be about knuckle high, but that
has to be too low for a power hammer.

Doug

I have the top of my hammer dies set at anvil height and that is not too low, IMHO. You tend to get used to viewing material from a certain perspective so anvil height is about right, plus it's helpful not to get too high or you may have trouble handling the material. Stock kept down at arm's length is more comfortable over extended periods of time than trying to always hold a biceps curl. Of course, specific types of work may dictate different heights so in any case, it's helpful to try a few setups and decide what is most comfortable for you.

My Kerrihard sow block height is same as anvil which is same as forge which is same as edge of swage block stand and another tooling stand. I also have an adjustable stand or 2 that allows me to clamp in vise height for twists.

As Hollis stated, arms length height is nice. Pointing tripod legs (6-7') is cumbersome in my limited space but having the ability to set a hot ended piece down safely is nice. I can move the anvil out to a better place for working on the power hammer as well. BTW my anvil height is about 33 1/2" which is my inseam lenght as well. Welding table is roughly 36" ( which I cut off the edge with the plasma too ). All in what is comfortable for you and your back. Anvil height will definitely be in relationship to work. If I am going to really wail on something big after the powerhammer I have a bridge plank I can step up on ( 3" higher ) but this is seldom used.

10521.attach

Edited by Ten Hammers

Hi all
We have a tagging hammer that has dies set fairly high ie lower chest level. It is really hard on the back after a while as you are holding your arms out in front of you, and supporting this with your back. We also have a 2cwt alldays that I tried to raise the bottom block up to a nice level, I have managed to get that at possibly just the wrong height also, as it is a pain to use (backwise). Our 2 masseys however are as they were designed with our 5 cwt bottom block being 28" from floor level and I can forge under that all day with no problems. yes it means you have to bend a bit but it seems easier. What I am saying is find a height that you already use, ie your anvil height, and work from there. I feel everyone will be different in what they like relative to themselves.
cheers
Phil

Since my back injury I don't think that I could work at the height of my LG 25# any more with out great pain. It was bad enough before the injury as I thought about 3" to 4" additional height would be better and I envied the folk with an air pedal that they could move around rather then a clutch ring. I like Frosty's suggestion of some where between crotch and belt, maybe a little higher but not by much. You see this the level where your closed fist rests. Any higher and you are lifting the metal to the anvil, any lower and you are squatting to the anvil or bending to it and none of these are good for your back.

Edited by Bentiron1946

My suggestion is find what is the most comfortable safe hieght for you, as I have lower back issues, being bent at the waist for log periods of time is a no-no for me, I kepp mine at a hieght that I can hold the metal level with the bottom die, without significantly bending at the waist. Works great for me.

I was working at the powerhammer today. 1/2 round drawdowns.
My hammer is about knuckle height at the anvil. A bit of a pain for small stuff.
If you work smaller stuff mostly, set the hammer high. If you work thick, set her low.
I suppose a "barber chair" setup would be pretty convenient...I know there are hydraulic systems avalible for adjusting platen tables at Weldsale...

Well, I don't think putting the anvil end into the floor would make my
landlord very happy. The anvil is 8x10x44 and I would to use as much
as possible. The column is 2 pcs. of w12 26 welded together and boxed with
12"x1/4" plate. I plan to fill the column with lead, approx 3500 lbs.

• 4 weeks later...

The die height on my 100# and 200# hammers is 36''. This feels right for both free forging of heavy stock or top tool work.
The bottom die on my 25# is at 38'' which feels right for lighter work and occasional set tool use.
The anvil of my 90# treadle hammer is at 38'' to allow a full throw of my leg without hitting my knee on the work.
The power hammers are on heavy timber riser blocks which provide a cushion and bring them up to the right level. Having the die height too low is a killer on the back , too high puts a lot of strain on the elbows.
My large anvil is at 34'' which is at the wrist bone with my arm hanging loose. I also have a heavy stake anvil at 38'' which is just right for fine work.
On a good day I'm 5' 11'' tall.