I Forge Iron

December 7th, 2008

irnsrgn

Lets say a prayer for those who gave there lives and those who survived the terrible ordeal on this day 67 years ago. And also for our service men and women and veterans wheree ever they may be. I will fly my son Jeff's Funeral Flag as I always do on Holidays and Special Days of Military importance. And it will fly at Half Mast till Noon, then be raised to Full Mast. I do the Half Mast on Pearl Harbor Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Jeff's Birthday.

Thank You Veterans for my Freedom. May God Bless you all.

Jr. Strasil SWFCN
United States Naval Construction Battalions (SeaBees), (Can Do).

Will certainly remember it. I will also remember that it was 18 years ago that we returned from the field only to be called upon to go to Desert Shield/Storm on the 26 Dec. 1990. Thank you to all of you out there who are serving and have served to keep us free and alive. You are my heroes.

Former Spec 4 Cartrette 54th Engineer BN (Combat, light mech).

Aye aye irnsrgn, I'll join in that prayer with you.
As a young marine stationed at Pearl Harbor in the 1980's I was deeply honored for the opportunity to pull morning colors several times at the wreck of the U.S.S. Utah. Everyone has heard of the U.S.S. Arizona and the large memorial which stands over the wreck of that ship but few know of the Utah, also sunk that day. There on the west side of Ford island in the harbor is a small gangway jutting out from the shore overlooking the remains of what was a mighty battleship with a proud crew, now all that can be seen above the waves is a portion of her starboard bulkhead steadily rusting away. Those proud souls are not forgotten. Anchors aweigh.

Edited by Dan OHare
shpeling

Kudos Junior. In a world that has changed in many ways politically, Thank GOD there are still people willing to put their lives on the line for freedom as we did. Although I didn't leave US waters I will always be proud of by 6 year hitch. We had a neighbor that was on the USS Narwhal at Pearl. ( former Seaman) Robert Donnely died a few years ago . His service (and of course the rest of the service members and civilians at Pearl Harbor on that fateful day ) should not be forgotten. Dad's first cousin was a grunt in the Battle of the Bulge. For a large part his family ( my cousins) doesn't do much to remember his service. His wife ( now in her 90's ) however, does. She worked in an Aircraft factory during WW2.

There will be some that wish to make a mockery of this National Holiday. Some have done it here. So what. I've gotten over that too ( for a large part ). To all current servicemembers, thanks. To all past service members, thanks. This is not a start of a rant, let me make that clear. I know many Veterans today. I rondy with several. One was a POW. I am honored to be in their presence. Lest we forget.