I Forge Iron

Scrapyard steel

Johanvn

I recently (LEGALLY :) ) acquired a load of old railway line. About 3.5 meters of it. Some of it I'll use to make a looooonggg straight flat to straighten billets on before making knives. However, I was wondering if anyone have info on what type of steel I have there? And its properties. I was thinking of using some to try and make a tomahawk head.

In fact, I would appreciate info on any scrapyard steels. I.e. old leafsprings? Ballbearings? etc.

Johan:

The RR rail in S. Africa may be a different composition than here in the US. While nobody here would deliberately give you bad info it can happen if we can't tell where you are easily.

This is another good reason to edit your profile to show your location.

Frosty

• 2 years later...

I recently (LEGALLY :) ) acquired a load of old railway line. About 3.5 meters of it. Some of it I'll use to make a looooonggg straight flat to straighten billets on before making knives. However, I was wondering if anyone have info on what type of steel I have there? And its properties. I was thinking of using some to try and make a tomahawk head.

In fact, I would appreciate info on any scrapyard steels. I.e. old leafsprings? Ballbearings? etc.

Hi Johanvn

I don't have any experience using RR track, but everyonr I know tells me that it is very hard, a lot of people use it for an anvil, there is very little wear on theses RR anvils.
I don't know about a tomahawk, but you should try asking Wim van Dijk, Paul Mikula or Coenraad Vegter.

Jordan

PS: You owe me 2 cents :)

Hi Johan,

I believe that in the 60's Iscor experimented with numerous "blends/cocktails" for track and I understand that they came up with some extremely hardwearing track that was used on strategic lines. Those that were into and out of military bases as well an the ore lines. So I don't think there is a standard for Iscor track, unlike the pre-republic stuff.

That said track is good stuff, if heated and quenched it will ring like a bell(think dinner bell/gong)so I'm sure you could find lost of uses for it.

Good score.

Ian