I Forge Iron

steel

Loenja

the only tests of steel ive seen aplied are the abs tests... and i have seen a knife blade go thru a test for journeyman .. it was 5160 and about 3/16 at the spine about 1 1/4 inch width and about 10 of blade it cut a freestanding rope twice then cut thru a 2x4 twice then shaved hair . then went into a vice and was bent to 90(took a pipe on the handle and a lot of grunt)it straitened back to about 20 degrees. that is what proper 5160 will do... it is tougher to harden and temper a sword but if done properly it should have the same performance.

Falconer:

I am for the sake of the others reading this thread, going to totally forget I read this, because this thread could get really personal and before I come down hard on you I would rather just let this slide (geeze that concussion must of really rattled my brain). Since you put my credentials in question here is my signature block (that I seldom use). There are many, many more than what is listed here....

Dr JP Hrisoulas, Col. NANG (ret)
Metallographer, Bladesmith, Reasearcher,
Author: "The Complete Bladesmith"
"The Master Bladesmith"
"The Pattern Welded Blade"
soon to be in print:"Custom Bladesmithing: Tools and Techniques for Craftsmen"

Edited by JPH

Perhaps I do have a dog in this hunt. I carefully re-read the original question and the first answer by Thomas Powers. The question was brief and direct. The answer was clear and spoke straight to the question. Now I am wondering how it became an issue and has festered to the point of at least one of our members feeling it has become personal. This is no doubt the most educational place a person can access the internet for blacksmithing and knife/sord information. It is easier than written references as the person asking the question will no doubt get answers from many folks with varied backgrounds and experience. I believe we can do even better without personal attacks.

Edited by Rich Hale