I Forge Iron

i need help!

Go to IForgeIron.com > Lessons in metalworking > Blacksmithing and read the section. When you finish there go to IForgeIron.com/forum > archive (at the bottom of the page) Use part of the $200 to buy a cold drink and a sandwich. That should leave you about $195 to buy books and other educational materials.

Top priorities should be a heavy object to hit on, and a hammer to hit with. The tools you will need, you can make with the forge.

I don't know where you from, But you have a good start, You found I Forge Iron, and The help is here , Like Glenn said above you can make most of what you need, if you need help just ask.
Also you may want to find a Blacksmithing group in your area and join them, That will be a big help , ..
let us know how your doiing and welcome to the site ,, You might want to go to your CP and put in your location, Where your From,, Shoot you may have a neighbor that is a member here...I wish you well..Tom

Like all the others have said you just need a hammer and a lump of something to hit on. Setting up for the first time is not hard, it just does not look right after seeing the collection of things/tools someone else has gathered over time.

Your first project would be to make a set of tongs then you are off and running.

It does not have to be expensive, and that is one of the beauties of this hobby. You can turn other people's rubbish into really useful/beatuiful objects with a bit of time and practice.

Welcome, there are several groups in our area. The NWBA has many active members, blacksmith.org. Ft. Vancouver has a blacksmith Guild and a 4 forge shop. Stop by sometime when you're in the area. Some of us belong to both groups and smith down at the Annual Steam-up in Brooks, Welcome to Antique Powerland. Once you meet some people things start falling into place easier.

Get some safety glasses first. I don't even walk around in my shop without my safety glasses on. Blacksmith shop is the most dangerous type of shop. I know that sounds like overkill but trust me on this one. It's such an easy habit to adopt and such a heavy price to pay for screwing it up.

After the glasses buy a book or two. I recommend "The Art of Blacksmithing" by Alex Bealer. It's only 10 bucks at Barnes and Noble new. Next, order either "The New Edge of the Anvil" or "Backyard Blacksmithing" from Amazon.com used.

Go crazy and search for anyone in metalworking locally. There's alot of advice, tools and material you can gather just by saying hi. I always try to exchange value. Don't expect an apprenticeship but you can always ask if they need any help and if you are genuine it shows.

Go to the swap meet and find a couple hammers. Don't get anything over 2-1/2 lbs to start. I thought I was going to be a hurcules and use a big hammer but it turns out it's a curve where too light is too little work done and too heavy you get too slow and sloppy. 2 to 2-1/2 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for me.

Search out your local scrap yards. There's a couple here that don't pay for steel. When people bring em steel they throw it in a huge dumpster type thing and sell it pretty cheap if you let them know what you're doing.

If you can afford a class then take it. Otherwise just be smart, read and get in some hammer time.

SteamLemming, It might be good to look up a blacksmith in your area, Tom Dudkowski might be a good one or give me a call. I am not a blacksmith but I am a knifesmith.

This is a public forum, and that information is not good to post online. I suggest you edit that phone number out of your post, and send it to SteamLemming in a private message. Edited by highlander