I Forge Iron

Gate

So I spent this past weekend at Jerry Culberson's last ever blacksmithing class, learning how to make a traditional gate using mortis and tenon.

IT IS A LOT OF WORK!!!

It took me all weekend just to forge out 4 tenon's and slit and drift 4 mortis's for the frame. I used 5/8" x 1 1/8" stock. Much of the time was spent tweaking and fixing my mistakes but it was a weekend well spent.

Now all I have to do is create the inner pieces. I'm planning on a dog motif, with a couple of flat bar vertical pieces with some dog prints stamped into them and after I learn how and make the tools to do it, dog heads of the tops of the frame .

Nothing like a challenge!

9642.attach

9643.attach

9644.attach

The course "be seated" held by Jay Burnham Kidwell is a great traditional joinery course, he speaks to square tenons as a better way than round, as they seat and do not move, the tooling is a big part of the process, but once you have made them, the sky is the limit, I like working with the big stock like you did, well done, it inspires me to start on the one my wife wants. Glad she does not read this!!

What I need now are butchers and side sets, flatter and monkey tools. It was hard enough with having Jerry's tools available but with none of those in my possession it will slow things down considerably. I think I'll try to make at least the butcher and the monkey tools from stock on hand but the side sets and flat sets I don't think I have stock for. A cheese fuller would be good too! Guess I need to get to some conferences and hope someone has some of these available!

I'll tell her!

Hey! . . . Wait a minute!

Weren't you sending all those cruelly addictive tools to me for safe keeping? You haven't fallen off the wagon have you?

You WANT to be cured don't you?

Any more tools and equipment you talk your wife into letting you buy needs to be sent here immediately to prevent a relapse!

You DO want to be normal don't you?

Frosty

What I need now are butchers and side sets, flatter and monkey tools. It was hard enough with having Jerry's tools available but with none of those in my possession it will slow things down considerably. I think I'll try to make at least the butcher and the monkey tools from stock on hand but the side sets and flat sets I don't think I have stock for. A cheese fuller would be good too! Guess I need to get to some conferences and hope someone has some of these available!

If you don't already have one, a treadle hammer will be a lot of help also. Greatly reduces the time to make tenons if you have the proper set tools.

But if I get a treadle hammer or even a power hammer, I'll just have to send it up to Frosty to keep me safe and normal...............

Actually I'm considering bypassing the treadle for now and order the plans for the tire hammer. My taste of using the power hammer has got me interested in.....................POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry:

For your health and well being I feel you should talk to Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith's Shop about buying a totally refurbished Nazel 3B.

Then send it to me of course, I wouldn't want to see your addiction take THAT kind of turn!

Frosty