I Forge Iron

post vise spring

a while back i posted about a columbia vise i picked up for $25.00:D. it needed a good cleaning and a spring made for it and a new stand. i cleaned it up and made a new spring for it. i used 2"x1/4" hot rolled for the spring. the stand was a section of 8" "I" beam with a 1" plate welded to it. the "I" beam was free:D.all i need to do is finish bolting it down and attachet it to my bench so the bench will not move when i use my metal bender. i would like to thank this group for the info. they gave on making my spring.
my next project is to make a stand for my FREE peter wright anvil.:D

9536.attach

9537.attach

9538.attach

9539.attach

9540.attach

9541.attach

9542.attach

Back in Ohio I was once getting ready to give US$25 for a post vise till I was stopped by a friend who told me "Don't do that cause then he'll want $25 for all of them" very different from vise poor NM where the cheapest I've see was $60.

at $25 ide buy everyone I could find!
I havnt seen one around here for less than a $100
not sure where ya all are finding them

the only reason i got a good deal on it was the company i worked for sold and the new owners were cleaning house. they didnot want to take the time to try and sell it. so like a good employe i stood over them and when they said throw it out told them to put it into my pickup park right out side BY THE DOOR.

That's a nice solid, well made stand.

I'd make one change though. The way you notched the plate and mounted the vise's post leg in it means the plate will get in the way twisting or working other bent pieces.

I didn't mount mine nearly as close in and wish I'd mounted it as far from the stand as possible for more clearance.

Frosty

Ohio is a happy hunting ground for smithing equipment; thickly settled/farmed and industrial back in the late 19th century. Most of the 15 years I lived there I could find a decent post vise for $20 with minor looking at fleamarkets---I held my line at 10 vises and would upgrade or pass on anymore that I bought. I did pay $50 for the vise I had to disassemble to be able to load it into the truck as it was too heavy for me to lift complete.

Quad-State had at least a dozen post vises for around $40 this last year and up to over $300

• 1 month later...

bullchuck,

I am wondering about the spring you made. Did you need to heat treat it. I have never made a spring before.

I purhased a postvise at an estate sale several years ago for $10. While I was paying, a man walked up and asked how much it sold for. He then went on to tell the seller it was worth $100. The seller said "well, its been here for two weeks and no one wanted it." I offered to let the new guy buy it for $100 but of course he declined. I was very happy with the $10 deal.

Another vise is available without a spring. That is why I am asking about how you made the spring.

No need to heat treat it, especialy if your using mild steel..

bullchuck,

I am wondering about the spring you made. Did you need to heat treat it. I have never made a spring before.

I purhased a postvise at an estate sale several years ago for $10. While I was paying, a man walked up and asked how much it sold for. He then went on to tell the seller it was worth $100. The seller said "well, its been here for two weeks and no one wanted it." I offered to let the new guy buy it for $100 but of course he declined. I was very happy with the $10 deal.

Another vise is available without a spring. That is why I am asking about how you made the spring.