I Forge Iron

Is grinding the wooden handle to a newly made knife a good way to shape it?

Usually, yes. Be VERY careful about breathing the dust, some woods are quite dangerous, ironwood for instance. Eye protection is a must too.

Welcome aboard.

If you'll go to the top of the page, click on "User CP" and edit your profile to show your location there's probably someone close by you can get together with. Heck, maybe even ME!

Frosty

I like to rough the shape of the handle in on the grinder, just to make things go a bit quicker (knock down all the excess and establish the general shape), but once I bring it close, I tend to do the rest by hand, with rasps, files, and sand paper. Grinders eat steel real quick, and they eat softer things like wood, bone, and other grip materials even faster. Its super easy to screw up the grip on a grinder if you don't have a lot of practice. Its harder to mess up when you are doing things slow by hand since you have a great deal more of control of where material is being removed and how quickly. Ultimately it boils down to available equipment, personal pereference, style, and your own individually determined skill and methods. What works beautifully for one smith, may work horribly for you. Experiment a bit, find out what works for you and go for it :)

Files and scrapers sounds like a good idea. Up till now I've been using a sanding disc with 40 grit paper. When the handle is nearly finished I fit the blade, then I attach the blade in a vice and continue shaping the handle with long strips of sanding paper. I hold the strip at both ends and let the middle of the paper form a tight curve around the top/bottom of the handle. A wider curve is used for the sides. This ensures an even and symmetrical shape and the control is great. The finishing touch is done by sanding in a more regular fashion using pieces of sanding paper.

hey
I like to use grinders
but watch out if you are using normal grinding disks
they will burn the wood, which is a pig to finish out and it glazes the disks
try using 'flappers'
they are designed for softer materials
and a nice sharp rasp is surprisingly quick - dont use blunt tools!
Alfie