My first Anvil

The seller delivered this to me at 3:30 EST

A really nice Peter Wright. It weighs 186#

DSCN2404.JPG
a front view

DSCN2406.JPG
Top View

DSCN2411.JPG

I do have one question about this one though, what does it mean when your Anvil is stamped RR

The seller told me that it meant that it was made for the railroad. But I thought that I would ask you all.

Best,

Archiphile

I doubt that a railroad would stamp it RR without stamping *which* RR it was as they stamped even chisels with that info. More likely a previous owners initials; but junk/antique dealers like to claim everything was once rail road property as they think that makes it worth more.

I thought that it sounded a little like hogwash. I said nothing and paid the man. Then I went right in the house and grabbed the camera. I am in love, I have been looking for an anvil for about a year now and I finally got one. I plan to make woodworking tools and stuff. First I have to make some tongs and such though. I want to make a spring fuller and a hot cut. I think I will need to search the Blueprints to find out what materials that I will need for the fuller. I have a piece of half inch round stock (A-36). But I do not know if that is the right stuff.
Thank you all for the responses.

Best,

Archiphile

Archiphile,
Nice looking anvil. Where did you get it? Are you in Boston or in the burbs? What have you got for tools? You should think of joining New England Blacksmiths. They have one more open forge in Brentwood, NH this year and start up again in MArch. Also if you join there is supposed to be some sort of 2 day event in Portland Maine with lots of demoing going on.

Looks like RB to me. Look closely at the bottoms of the letters, the first one sweeps outwards slightly at the bottom where the second one curves back in. Both letters appear to be in a serif font but without the details on the bottoms of the letters.

This, R B is an example of the letters in a serif font, Georgia to be specific.

While this, R B is an example in a Sans-serif font, the site's default font.

As you can see at the stroke ends of the serif letters there is finial detail that appears to be missing from the bottoms of the stamped letters on the right side "feet" but is visible at the left. Possibly caused by holding the letter punches slightly cocked when struck, happens to me all the time.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :o

Oh yeah, this bit of detectivizing doesn't really mean anything other than being nice to know. What really counts is the really SWEET looking anvil you have. Now, all that's missing is a fire and some hammer noise.

Frosty

Edited by Frosty