I Forge Iron

education

I'm back in college trying to get a degree in art sculpture with the emphasis on metal. I was wondering what kind education, experiences, and classes that y'all have had that you believe have made yourself better at what you do, whether hobbyist or professionally.

I'm part of the saltfork craftsmen. I belong to couple of different groups. I was just interested in hearing about other people experiences about what made them better at what they do. I have recognized that when a certain group of folk hang around each other a lot, that you tend to hear the same ideas and was just looking for ideas and stories outside my region

I appreciate all your info! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just wanting to hear about other peoples experiences. I'm always a sucker for new, unheard, or just interesting story about other peoples live. ThomasPowers, I do see the importance of learning about doing things different ways. Just because you know how to do something, doesn't mean you know all the different ways to get it done, which is pretty important considering you don't always approach a task the way. Great stuff and thanks.

I've taken a bunch of courses over the years that helped a great deal.

If you are young and starting out, finish your art degree, take a bunch of courses and learn as much as you can, then apprentice in some of the premier shops in Europe for a few years.... if you are serious about artistic blacksmithing as a career.

Just my opinion.

Hi Creek,
I've been down a similar route to yours, went back to art school after 12-13 yrs working, mostly as a diesel fitter but also some furniture making (when the spanner work became too much:p). The most useful courses I've done outside uni have been basic welding -as offered by trade colleges for apprentice boilermakers; and an intro blacksmithing course.
To further a career in public art I would suggest doing a proper CAD course. While it may not actaully assist your own work directly, it will only enhance your proposals when you go for commissions. Many such opportunities are dependant on the OK of an engineer (well they are here, because of Workplace Health and Safety, duty of care, public liability ad nauseum), and people like that only speak CAD! It certainly doesn't hurt to present your work as a 3D walk-around on a computer, or send it on a CD etc.
I haven't been too far down the route I started, with only a few commissions and some exhibitions- inc. a selection of work over your way at SOFA in Chicago- instead I stayed at the uni and now teach workshop practices to sculpture students.:rolleyes:
Anyway, that's my advice, good luck with what you're up to!:)

Makoz

I appreciate all of the info! It's taken a few years for me to get my head on straight enough to go back to school. Makoz, I have some drafting experience, my grandpa used to sit me down as a child and have me draft up different shapes that he found laying around the shop. I would jump at the chance to study in Europe, but school comes first. VoTech here offers some cad courses which I've planned on taking this coming summer. Thank you to all that have responded to my thread, I have learned a lot!