I Forge Iron

Hobart Meltdown

I am asking this for a friend and my own curiosity, it is not mine.  This is a Hobart Beta-Mig 251 that he said started smoking, and he took the cover off to find this.  I know I should ask on a welding forum but this is my only social media, I tried Welding Web once and never went back.  Any idea?  Could build up of dirt cause this?  Are those cooling fins?  He says it still works.  I told him to quit since it was smoking.c1_20240518_09232043.thumb.jpeg.7372abd9fcf9dc7dafeabdfc84f73726.jpeg

Tell him to give the whole thing a good cleaning and then run it and see what smokes, if it does still smoke. (at his own risk!) It almost looks to me like some of the insulation on those wires is pretty crispy, but it might just be soot? Hard to tell from the photo. Definitely be ready to shut it off quick when testing it out!

In your opinion, could it be fixed/replaced or is the whole unit shot?  I was wondering if they were cooling fins, not him.  The only reason I asked is he said it still worked.  It is in Nebraska and I am in NC.  What would you speculate caused it?  This is just curiosity on my part.

Hi Scott, It looks like a build up of dirt around the transformer. I have been welding since I was a kid and own 3 miller and three lincoln welders. At least once a year I remove the tin and blow out the accumulated dirt even more frequently if the shop has a lot of dust and dirt from grinding. Also  the welder needs to be located where it can get good airflow so it cools properly. THe most important factor is the rated duty-cycle, for example it may say 60% at 200 amps. That means that in 10 minutes you can weld for 6 minutes and let it idle and cool for 4 minutes. As to wether it is usable I would definatly clean and inspect it carefully as it looks like sme damage has been done perhaps have an electrician check it. Since I can't get my hands on it I would urge the owner to proceed with caution particularily if he is not knowledgeable with electricity.

Thanks, Direwolf, I will pass that along.  He's a former co-worker and has access to electricians from work.  It was my curiosity that caused me to ask.  I don't know how that much dirt could build up.

I just thought of it but I've had a AC tombstone for 20+ years and never blew it out.  

I will do it tomorrow.

Hi Scott, I've taken a few apart that I thought would be filthy inside to find them clean as a whistle and some that were a mess. I guess it all depends on the shop  conditions and type of work. Also as you know the welders have fans that continually blow air through the machine to cool the transformers and bridge rectifier circuit if it is a dc machine, so over time a lot of air is moved through it. As I'm on the subject sometimes the fans quit working so while he is checking I would make sure the cooling fan is working too.  Those tombstones are tough, dependable welders. About 5 or 6 years ago I was at an estate sale across town mostly tools and logging gear so I bought some tools  there was an old tombston ac unit there. I just looked at it as I walked past and the fellow running the sale barked at me "hey buddy I saw you look at that welder, gimmie 20 bucks and I'll throw it in yer truck" Well I gave him a 20 and he loaded it. It was filthy on the outside and the fan didn't work so I took the tin off and found to my surprise that the inside was clean as could be. I had to remove the fan and take it apart and clean it and it then worked and the welder worked great.  

Looks like the separators got smoked likely due to overuse. The previous duty cycle is probably reduced now. I had a miller 150 that started to smell like burned varnish and decided to upgrade to an airco 250. It's a far cry from the new Lincolns we're using at work, wish I could justify getting a new unit, so sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

If thats a hobby welder what did he weld for 6 min straight or more to melt it i have to ask i'd say he can find the part somewhere with a little luck.Lol i better check my 25 yr old mig cause i havn't cleaned it ever .The hobarts are good machines that couldn't of happened at once it must of been breaking down over some time i think anyway.

On 6/4/2024 at 1:28 PM, bubba682 said:

what did he weld for 6 min straight or more to melt it

Lol, I'll ask him.  I'm reminded of once I went to lunch break at a job and I flung the liner over an I-beam fixture as I was leaving and it hit the trigger lock and it ran for 15 minutes all over the floor....