I Forge Iron

Forge for a beginner

Toby_H

Hi all, 

I’ve recently begun black smithing as a project for school and have been using the “One Brick Forge”  method outlined in Wayne Godard’s book. It really isn’t cutting it for me and I’ve tried several ways to improve it so I’ve decided I’m going to buy a forge online. I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good propane forge for medium sized knife making that’s sub $150. Thanks! 

Welcome from the Ozark Mountains.

Amazon has some listed in your price range. However most of them need some safety improvements like coating the fiber thermal blanket with rigidizer & castable refractory . I suggest reading through the pinned threads in this sub section.

We are not allowed to post live links to commercial sites, as outlined in the "Read This First" thread.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Also, where you live can have a big impact on what's available to you and what it will cost. If you put your location (general area is fine) in your profile, people can offer more specific advice.

Cheers,

Jono.

Have you thought about solid fuel? A "JABOD" is just about the cheapest way to get going. Of course this is assuming you live in an area that is okay, solid fuel tends to be a bit more smokey than propane. Lump charcoal used on smokers is what I used getting started since "blacksmithing" coal is not as readily available around me.

Your best bet is to see if there are any Mister Volcano forges still being sold. Otherwise, I suggest that you spend that money building a coffee-can forge.

You're in luck. I just checked and they are still for sale through Amazon.com. However,  they have announced that they are through once their stock runs out. While you are trying to make up your mind, I suggest that you read through the Mister Volcano thread, here on IFI. You won't find that kind of information available from any of their second and third rate competitors.

Sorry, Lee.

I did not pay attention. What I did was into Mister Volcano in the Google search engine, and the site that popped up was different; but they do seem to still be selling the two burner forges for $135.

4 minutes ago, Mikey98118 said:

Sorry, Lee.

I did not pay attention. What I did was into Mister Volcano in the Google search engine, and the site that popped up was different; but they do seem to still be selling the two burner forges for $135.

Hi Mikey, 

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately it appears that Mister Volcano only sells through Amazon, and Amazon is out of stock. 

Igor, one of the brother, owners of the company that made Mr. Volcano as a sideline said they only made them as time allowed and when other cheaper forges started making them less than profitable they were going to use up the precut and bent stock but not replace what they had on hand.

I haven't spoken to Igor nor has he hasn't posted in quite a while so I don't know the current status. Perhaps maybe enough people are asking for Mr. Volcano the brothers decided to turn them out when time allows again. 

Frosty The Lucky.  

Actually, I think they should upgrade their forge design, and sell them in the $400 to $500 range. That is where the market is short of good choices. I only know of one forge in that price range, that is even acceptable.

It'd be nice, I liked Igor and his brothers they listened to advice and after checking took some of it. They changed brands of refractory to a high alumina for example. I just don't think the profit margin is there, even at $400+ ea.  They only have (had?) 3 employees and themselves to run a seriously busy shop. 

I haven't looked but are they still selling their burners? Those were almost entirely CNC and robot produced. IIRC

Frosty The Lucky.