I Forge Iron

Painted tools

Please move this as needed and forgive me if there is an existing thread. I seem to recall various threads where people talked about painting their tools for various reasons. Over the years, mine have been either to provide visibility (where the heck is that scraper I had five seconds ago???), for decoration, or to stop that debate in advance over whose tool you were holding.

Obviously you can't paint or wouldn't want to paint all your tools flourescent pink or Ford Motor Company blue, but sometimes it's a big help on the ones you can. I think I've just hit that point with my hive tools for my bees - got four or five of the darned things, and doggone if every one hasn't turned invisible and gone on vacation.

At any rate, I thought it would be fun to have a topic where people could post their painted tools. Here's my little post vice and one of my blowers in fire engine red.

Blowerdone.thumb.jpg.f133bc9a3274cf5e16fbf3d49812dc9d.jpgVisestand.thumb.jpg.11bf9833321aee92845f7c8b25189dcb.jpg

I'm with you on anti-leg growth paint on tools but I'm not clear no which tools you can't paint? Sure, don't paint the stuff you have to see though like gage and welding shield lenses. The others?

I agree, flourescent paint rubs off too quickly but pepto bismol pink tools keeps them home nicely and I think your shop would look pretty in pink.

I posted a couple pics of my power hammer dressed in my shop colors and don't want to be more repetitive than I already am.

Frosty The Lucky.

I like a red and black combination but after starting to forge I have avoided red for the most part other than some highlights. Reasoning is to train myself to avoid touching red things / hot things haha. 

I've been bringing fewer and fewer tools to hammer ins, both to keep the bag light and there's usually plenty of tools around.  If it's a class though, I'll grab the can of spray paint closest to the front of the cabinet and hit the end of everything, tongs, punches, hardy hot cut, with a splash of the same color so I can keep track of tools. Nothing so formal as two colors with one masked off. A couple of general purpose tongs have a kaleidoscope color pattern on the reins now.

Paint by Numbers? Any Colour that sticks, the louder the colour, the more likely to come back home with you. Too much paint on the Handles makes them too large to hang on to (LOL). Thick isn't necessarily a correct term. Kullerfull is a bonus!!

Neil