I Forge Iron

Left hand monkey wrench

What tool have you purchased that at first you thought may be good for a few things but has become one of the most used tools in your arsenal? 

So, for me it is my guillotine. I made my first one thinking it would be something that it would come in handy sometimes. I now have 3 and one has a home next to my anvil because just about everytime i work in the shop i use it for something. 

Most things I buy are for long term general use.  One thing I bought for a one off job, is a giant bolt cutter.  I wound up building a fixture for it to cut smaller diameter square and round stock as I was using a lot of it, rather than firing up the bandsaw or cut off wheel.  Similar to a cut off saw.  Clamp it and cut it.  I can remove it and cut locks, bolts, what have you, too. As far as for left handed monkey wrenches go, I have a case of relative bearing grease I would be willing to part with for lubricating them.  I only accept cash.

Good Morning,

Talking about a 'Left Handed Monkey Wrench', There is such a thing. There is a 'Left Handed Crescent Wrench'. Yes you have to rotate the thumb screw the other way. The first time I used it, it was awkward, Then I became used to it.

Neil

Hacksaws more than 25-30 years old were right handed to compensate for the ergonomic(?) torque of right vs. left handed users. It isn't much but it's there. 

I never noticed that Scott! :o Who do we contact in GVT. to get left handed printing on the left side of our writing tools! It's, a scandal a crime I say! Oh wait, I think this about the only time I've ever read the pen itself. I think we're going to have to start a movement!

Frosty The Lucky.

I detect a right handed bias in your comment.  What tool did you buy, that changed your shop?  I think the biggest one I have was my bandsaw.  Of course the anvil helped.  I used to pound on things on the concrete, bench, bench vise, gravel driveway, what ever.  But then you know, I'm just a scrap artist who makes fire poker's on the side.  :)

3 hours ago, BillyBones said:

I should have also said "or made"

I suspect that was taken for granted.  The best shop tool I made was a powerhacksaw to save my arm.  It's rusting away in a shed right now.

The tool I bought that changed everything was my Jet, vertical horizontal band saw. It is the ONLY power tool in the shop I'll start and go do something else. The only thing I use a chop "hot" saw for is cutting thin tubing. I get more use out of my home built 2 x 72 belt grinder than my 50lb. Little Giant though I use the heck out of it too.

Frosty The Lucky.

I'm with Frosty. The first thing I bought was my 30 pound Star power hammer. When I bought it and restored it to working condition (poured Babbitt bearings) I thought I would only use it occasionally. Now a days there isn't a time when I fire up the forge that i don't also use the Star. On the I made it, I would say it's my hot cut hardy.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus