I Forge Iron

Asking for advice in selling my anvil

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I'm afraid we can't help you much because we don't know where you live (please add to your profle)0 and we don;t now anything about your anvil, weight, condition, maker, etc..  Pictures of the anvil would be a great help.

Generally, you can sell an anvil in the same way you can sell anything else, Craig's List, Facebook Marketplace, ebay, etc., etc..  Fair market value will depend on where you live and the size and condition of the anvil.  One in really bad shape is only worth scrap value ( about 25 cents US/pound the last time I looked) while one in great shape and a larger size may command $US 5-7/pound which is close to what you might pay for a brand new one.

You might check ebay for what something similar is going for and places like Blacksmith's Depot or Centaur Forge for prices of excellent band new anvils.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand." 

Welcome aboard Tina, glad to have you.

Like George suggests, your general location and some pictures will make selling it much easier. Get pictures from several angles, one showing the face (top) and horn, another showing the side with markings, name, date, etc. Try to take it with the light at a shallow angle across the side and top to show texture. Using the flash tends to make surface features less visible because of the lack of shadows. 

General location and pics. is your advertising, here and elsewhere. Like George suggests look at other sites to get an idea of what your anvil is worth where you live. There are people out there who will try to take advantage of you beyond the expected make the best deal they can. 

Post the necessary stats here and we'll give you a good idea of a fair asking price.

Frosty The Lucky.

Where are you located? General location is just fine. This is a top grade anvil in a good size and visually very good condition. If the ring and rebound it good, $600~800 would be a reasonable price point in my area (south central Indiana).

(Those pictures may have Frosty drooling :rolleyes:, he loves his Soderfors!)

Keep it fun,

David

Oh, Tina, that is a VERY nice anvil.  It is a top brand and has had very little wear in its 95 year life.  It is barely broken in.  Anvil prices vary by availability which means that they are more expensive in areas where there are fewer anvils available.  So, they are somewhat less expensive in the eastern US and more expensive in less populated areas like the western US.

Goods mention ring and rebound tests.  These insure that it has not been through a fire which softens the temper in the high carbon face plate and that the face plate has not delaminated from the body.  For the ring test you tap it across the face.  The ring should be clear and consistent in all areas of the face.  It may change a bit near the heel (the part at the opposite end from the horn).  For the rebound test you need a ball bearing.  You drop it on the face and measure the rebound, e.g. drop it from 10" and hold a ruler so that you can measure how high it bounces.  Anything in the 80-90% range is excellent.  70% is OK.  Anything under 50% is not very good.

I agree with Goods about value.  I wouldn't take less than $600 for it.

And 123 pounds is a decent size for a one man shop.

I'll ask again, where are you generally located?  Someone here may be fairly close and interested in buying it.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

I'm sorry glenwood ark is location I have little knowledge of antique  anvils I was showed similar anvil conditions name year and condition other than 123 lbs I've yet to see  another at that particular  weight it appears 124 or 125lbs more common but they been  asking like $4000.00 and up so I was hoping to sale for less so possibly sale today I just wanted to be fair for whom ever as well as for myself as well so  thanks for the help hopefully location will help more so with all do respect why such a difference in price range thanks  

Tina, like any commodity which is unique or in short supply there are folk who are in it to only make a buck, aka "flippers." Also, there are unsophisticated buyers with more money an knowledge around and when you get one of each of those two catagories together a deal will be made for far above normal fair market value.  I suggest that you look at Blacksmith Depot, Centaur Forge, of Holland Anvils to get an idea of what brand new, high quality anvils are selling for.  $4k for an anvil would need to be a huge one or one that had some very specialized features.  That is not to say that someone might not pay that but I would consider them uninformed and with more money than knowledge.

I hope yours is going to a good home.

GNM

DRATTED IFI update cut me off and lost what I'd written. Your anvil is in near pristine condition, the original owner radiused the most heavily used edges to prevent chipping. Soderfors anvils are as good as any anvil on Earth. If you want a quick sale subtract maybe 20% from the highest, most recent SELLING price. There is always a difference between "Asking price" and "Selling price."

The actual prices anvils like yours have sold for is likely to be about what you will get. Be aware people WILL want to bargain so leave a little extra in your "Asking" price so you can subtract it to make the buyer happy and make your sale. Make sense?

Just don't let anybody rob you, that beautiful anvil is worth well more than $2,000 in today's market, 3-4 thousand by your own observations. It is worth what people will pay you for it don't sell yourself short.

Frosty The Lucky. 

Some of the asking price out there are verging on predatory! At that type of price those anvils will sit for a long time or sell to someone with deep pockets who doesn’t know better. The highest quality new cast tool steel anvils, even with importing costs, are only priced at $14/pound. Less the 100yrs of age is not particularly significant for an anvil as will not justify that price. I personally would have difficulty asking for more that $8/pound for this anvil, but personally I would not sell it. (I would sell one of my others, after all it is top shelf quality)

If only you were in my area, I would be very interested.

Keep it fun,

David

Being down in central AR, you are in the Blacksmith Organization of Arkansas, central chapter's area. We are on Facebook, might have a look as there a lot of members around Little Rock. If I were in the market for another anvil, for that one, I would make the 5-6 hour one way trip to buy it.

I can't control the wind, all I can do is adjust my sail’s.
Semper Paratus

Okay my previous post came back. This machine is getting weird or the TBI is evolving. Any way here's what I meant to post here.

Oh MY!:o A Soderfors is as good as anvils get! I have it's brother, a "Sorceress" #4, 125lb. made in 1926 and I have never struck better! Yours doesn't have ANY edge chipping, a common bit of wear for Soderfors anvils. The first owner, probably, radiused the most heavily used edges so it wouldn't get chipped. Your anvil is in pristine condition the little bit of weathering on the body is no issue. Laugh if anybody brings it up and tell them Frosty said to.

What you have there is a top dollar anvil. Where you live is all important now, if you live in Sweden or close it's almost give away yard art. In Alaska it'd be cheap at $8+/lb and potential buyers would be bidding. Most anyplace in the lower 48 it's probably worth no less than $600 up into the $1k+ range. Easy.

No fooling Tina it's worth quite a bit.

Frosty The Lucky.