I Forge Iron

Anvil ID -- beat up Vulcan?

From reading other posts and knowledge sharing, I think this is a (beat up) Vulcan anvil.  Your thoughts on that?

Also, the "20" on the front foot area would indicate 200 lbs, yes?

I got this years ago; I built a stand for it and have some misc tools but really can't use it (injured shoulder). 

Do you think it's worth anything, or just scrap given it's condition?

I appreciate any advice, of course; nice to have some experienced eyes and minds to ask questions of.

20240110_131256.jpg

20240110_131303.jpg

20240110_132508.jpg

20240110_132515.jpg

Omar, welcome to the forum. 

If you would let us know where in the great big world you, or at least that anvil, are located. General location is fine, like New England states, Mediterranean, etc. The reason for one is that anvil prices can very widely from one place to another. What cost me $500 may cost $1000 on the other side of the country (USA). 

Beat up Vulcan? When I read the title of the post I was expecting much worse. Most of the Vulcans I’ve seen are in much worse condition. It still has a lot of life left in it. That being said, it is not a top tear anvil. I would probably put it at $500 in current condition. Of course, you never know what you could get on Facebook marketplace place from a newbie that doesn’t know any better, but I couldn’t bring myself to do that.

Keep it fun,

David

Vulcans have a fairly thin forge welded tool steel plate on the working surface.  Usability of this one is predicated on whether this plate is still intact or starting to break off.  If you tap all over the top surface and hear a noticeably "dead" spot, that can be a good indication of a failing top plate.  With a failing top plate I wouldn't charge more than 1 $/LB.  If the top plate is intact, in this condition, you may be able to get between 2 and 3 $/LB (though anvil prices do seem to be starting to drop again).  

On 1/10/2024 at 3:13 PM, BillyBones said:

Omar, welcome to the forum. 

If you would let us know where in the great big world you, or at least that anvil, are located. General location is fine, like New England states, Mediterranean, etc. The reason for one is that anvil prices can very widely from one place to another. What cost me $500 may cost $1000 on the other side of the country (USA). 

I am in western PA near Pittsburgh.

These types of anvils are not entirely unusual popping up in auctions from time to time around here.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:13 PM, swedefiddle said:

The Anvil you have is way gooder than the one hanging in the tree!!!

Neil

Way gooder ... I'll be sure to tell my friends that. LOL. 

On 1/10/2024 at 9:31 PM, Goods said:

Beat up Vulcan? When I read the title of the post I was expecting much worse. Most of the Vulcans I’ve seen are in much worse condition. It still has a lot of life left in it. That being said, it is not a top tear anvil. I would probably put it at $500 in current condition. Of course, you never know what you could get on Facebook marketplace place from a newbie that doesn’t know any better, but I couldn’t bring myself to do that.

Keep it fun,

David

Yea, the solution to the bum shoulder may be a cheat/trip hammer.  

There is also an EXCELLENT historical site nearby that does blacksmith training occasionally.  Not sure if they have room for a donation (maybe to auction to their new students wanting to get started).  Just some options kicking in my head.

Thanks for your time/perspective.

On 1/11/2024 at 2:14 PM, Latticino said:

Vulcans have a fairly thin forge welded tool steel plate on the working surface.  Usability of this one is predicated on whether this plate is still intact or starting to break off.  If you tap all over the top surface and hear a noticeably "dead" spot, that can be a good indication of a failing top plate.  With a failing top plate I wouldn't charge more than 1 $/LB.  If the top plate is intact, in this condition, you may be able to get between 2 and 3 $/LB (though anvil prices do seem to be starting to drop again).  

Ah, I was wondering if that welded top plate was original or a fix.  

Thanks!