I Forge Iron

wood block when welding? and other weird ideas

Riverton was kind of a boom town in the '70s when the uranium mines were going full blast and there was a good amount of oil and gas drilling.  Now, it is much more sleepy.  I am not a native.though but I got here as fast as I could.  I grew up on the South Side of Chicago and came out here to study geology in college.  More recently, I was County Attorney in Morgan County, CO (about halfway between Denver and Nebraska) and my wife and I looked around and asked ourselves if we wanted to live out our lives on the eastern plains of CO.  The answer was NO!  After looking around at a number of places we ended up in Laramie.  My wife is originally from Florida and she and her late husband lived a lot in the southern half of the US.  When I told her that the all time record high temperature in  Laramie was 94 degrees and that she would never see triple digits ever again unless we travelled to them it kind of messed with her paradigm.  She has fallen in love with Wyoming in general and Laramie in particular (or as it is sometimes called, "Laradise."

If you are ever going to be back in this country, PM me.  But not in the near future, Madelynn is still pretty covid cautious.  I would probably would be somewhat less so on my own but, as the US Constitution says, promoting domestic tranquility is a worthy goal.

We'll just have to assume that you are somewhere on Planet Earth for now but I am going to assume that it is in the US of A (somewhere).

GNM

57 minutes ago, northmanlogging said:

hrm... lessee if I get another warning from the mods... 4 posts, 4 rather childish warnings, excellent way to welcome new members BTW

If you had actually read the rules when you joined as requested, then you could have avoided the warnings. they are not that hard to follow for the other 60,000 members here

the quote thing makes sense, the editing of NOT foul language, and warning about quotes THAT ARE NOT QUOTES, as well as the Heavy handed READ THE RULES OR ELSE attitude
not so much

peace out gents, I've seen enough. 

Mod Note: your overly long quotes have been edited out by staff to remove the problem

Y'all got me excited for a minute, then I started looking at the NWBA meetings; they all look to be about four hours or more south of me. I wouldn't mind getting a group going up here on the north end of Washington, but I'm not set up well to host.

I haven't welded on wood, but it's lovely for use with a wood mallet or rawhide mallet to straighten twisted pieces that you don't want to mar. I used to keep a sawhorse made with a chunk of railroad tie handy as an impromptu anvil for just such a purpose. Smokes a bunch but works great. As to quenching in water - I'd borrow from Thomas Powers and make a test coupon, then use whatever it quenches best in. Some do well in water, some oil, some brine, and some steels don't even get hardened from bad language and mean looks.

Good Morning, nobody,

There are a lot of members in your area, all around you, Port Townsend, Anacortes, Mt. Vernon, Seattle area (etc) It is just a matter of meeting some of them and getting together in their own Shops. The Fairgrounds at Longview is used because it is axcessable as a central location, for Washington, Oregon and Idaho. I travel to the Spring Conference. The monthly events are the same day as our Vancouver Island Blacksmiths Association monthly meetings. This is 'Life'.

Before Longview, the Spring and Fall Conferences would move around Washington and Oregon, not always in the same place. The 'Teaching Trailer' would also follow and this would allow anyone to get in and get hot. Now there is a Shop Space, at Longview. Now the Fall Conference is called 'Swaptoberfest' Lots of different stuff available from other members. Otherwise it is called 'Tailgate Sales Area'  open season for what you didn't know you needed!!

Neil