I Forge Iron

Electric forklift forging press

Tom packer

Hi folks has anyone tried making a forging press with electric forklift components I've recently brought a cheap one for the battery primarily for solar storage, I've been collecting parts for a press for a few years (cylinder,steel etc) and thought I might be able to use the motor, valves etc from the forklift and make a solar powered dc forging press any advice much appreciated

Cheers tom 

Good Morning Tom,

Twas the night before, the night before and all through the Shop. Not a Press was working, because the pieces hadn't been combined yet. Up on the rooftop there arose such a clatter. "Put your pieces together, it just doesn't matter". Use your noodle to make it work, Solar is the center of the universe, maybe not a Press. Butt then, who says No!!

Welcome from the left Coast of Canada, Vancouver island.

Neil

I don't k now of anyone who's built a forge press from an electric forklift but I've been waiting. 

Two factors govern how effective a forge press is. Force and Speed. For me the beginning point on a build like this is assessing the pump(s) hopefully you have a number of pumps to choose from. What usually causes guys problems are pumps that develop LOTS of pressure but have low flow rates or the other extreme high flow rates but low pressure. You can deal with either but might not be able to get a good forge press.

Okay, enough from me for now. Tell us what you have to work with and be specific. Read the pump's, motor's and control valve's data badges, they'll have manufacturer, PSI, flow, travel, etc. Those are more central to the build than most other stuff. Motors will list, wattage, rpm, etc. VARIABLE rpm is SWEET!

Piston sizes and psi range is important.

I've got to break off now or I'll ramble to silly lengths.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty's got it right - first of all decide what you've got, and how it will fit.  Use the links in the "Press Calculations" to determine how many tons you'll have with the size of cylinder you've got.  The forklift should have a control valve with "UP/DOWn" as well as the "Forward tilt/Rear tilt" functions.  For a press all you'll need are the "UP/Down" controls.  You might be able to plug the tilt port and use the control valve you've got.

The pump on a forklift might well be a low pressure/high volume pump.  With the size of the cylinder I doubt it would take much pressure to create the lift required for the forklift's load.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we've not heard from the OP anymore about this project I thought I'd add the following info I found today online for forklifts on the https://www.forkliftaction.com/forum/discussion-forums.aspx site.

The main system relief valve pressure for lifting is 3,125 psi. This is adjusted at the relief valve on the bottom and toward the outside of the hydraulic control valve.

Check pressure with the mast at maximum fork height and at full throttle.

The secondary relief valve pressure for tilt and side shift is 2,250 psi. This is adjusted at the relief valve on the front of the hydraulic control valve. Just above the lift relief valve.

Looks like the forklift pump should be just fine for a hydraulic press, depending on flow rate which I would suspect to be suitable since the forklift would need to operate reasonable fast.