I Forge Iron

Same effect as bigger mig tip

hbmasa

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll have a much better chance of meeting up with someone living within visiting distance.

That's the gas supply fitting and has ZERO do do with how much fuel is injected in the burner. The jet orifice size meters flow and velocity.

Rather than guess how about posting a couple pics of your burner in burning. Stills please, video stinks for trying to evaluate these things.

Frosty The Lucky.

These are the vents for each burner20231217_104121.thumb.jpg.a72cf18d0c75f3ca6dde9c4008c718c4.jpg those each have 3 layers of holes, only burning 1 burner, itf i close it anymore a joke yellow flame kicks out but even this seems to oxidize.20231217_104135.thumb.jpg.a6e1c3c74c003975ac859a328582be5f.jpg

Ill probably use it outdoors only, dont have indoor room anywhere. Never knew it was so specific to just have working forge. Im in wilburham ma

I worded that poorly, I meant inside or outside the FORGE. Never use one of these in a room without excellent ventilation! One of their byproducts is carbon monoxide the silent killer!

More propane (fuel) is exactly the same thing as less combustion air. Try closing the choke sleave in stages until you get a good flame. 

We'll be happy to help you learn what a good flame looks like if you post pics of the burner in operation. Pics in through the forge opening works well to start. We'll let you know when you want to look at it from the side (across the forge opening) and why when we get there.

Frosty The Lucky.

While the flames are a little washed out by ambient light levels, what I can see of them looks pretty good. Furthermore the tint of their blue color is not dark enough to indicate heavily oxidizing flames. It looks like, the answer to your problem isn't going to be very straight forward :P

Thus, I must defer to Frosty to provide your answers :ph34r:

No, no, Frosty. Honestly, there is no need to thank me for this. Why, I was glad to help out :D

Also, the photos show a secondary flame envelope; this pretty much excludes the flames being oxidizing.

I don't think you are. For instance, what's behind all of that new looking rust on the outside of the burners? I can think of zero good reasons for such a rapid build up, and have never seen the like.

Anyone in the viewing audience have a clue what's going on?

I suspect that there is some source of water vapor that the burners and work pieces are being exposed to. Did you finish drying out the forge, before trying to heat steel up in it?

You did at least drill on 1/8" drain hole in the bottom of the forge shell, right?

"on"? Perhaps "one" would be a better move?

Forge has been outside maybe 2 weeks to get it ready, cheap stainless has rusted on me quicker. Somehow iim ok with the pipes degradation. i think the castable dried pretty ok based on steam escaping from said drilled hole. Coulda woulda on longer or hotter.  Thepic showed fluxed metal that got cool. Maybe thats my scale. Already metrakoted and am counting down the 4 hours to burn in

Thanks again

Ma is pretty famous for high humidity any time of the year isn't it? Sitting outside in high humidity isn't going to dry very thoroughly. Fortunately for you Kastolite does not dry, it is a water setting product and NEEDS high humidity to come to full strength and temp rating. 

Rust on the outside of your burner is telling me you have flame blowing out of the forge around the burner mount. If that's true then it's developing a little excess back pressure meaning the forge is a little small for the burners.

The choke sleave has a set screw doesn't? Close the choke a LITTLE bit, test and observe.

I don't get the 3 settings for the sleave, only a moron who doesn't have a clue would do something like that, they do NOT make burners that good. Ignore the detents and move the sleaves in 1/8" increments, light it up and observe the flame. Drill and tap a new set screw position if you can't ignore the detent positions.

You're darned close now, I'd be tempted to call it good unless the pics you posted is as hot as it get. It looks like it could use being richened a LITTLE bit. Maybe. I'd like to see a flame a LITTLE lighter in color but as Mike says it has all the elements it should have. They're nicely shaped and centered, it just needs a little fine tuning.

One last bit. If you don't like the rusty burner pull it, clean it up and paint it with header paint. It might not survive the burner's flame but it's good for 4-5 hundred degrees F easy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ill paint it happily if someone knows a good brand, but fancy primers can hit 25 a can. I know i only need one. Ill pulll it under the carport more if it is fixed. Picture was on gas about 3min and it goes near white by 7-8 min. Almost cooked my cell for closeups .

What temp and time should i use to definately dry accumulated rain with a forge burn? It rained Very near it yesterday

• 2 weeks later...