I Forge Iron

Will I need to bolt a flypress to the floor?

Bonnskij

Hi all. 

I have an opportunity to buy a flypress (john heine 182a). It's a three ton flypress if I'm not mistaken. Comes on a stand and total weight if stand and press is about 300 kg. I'm not however able to bolt the press/ stand to the floor where I live. Is that necessary with the amount of torque a flypress produces?

I don't have a fly press but the ones I have used in other folk's shops all had enough mass to resist the twisting motion withour being attached to the floor.  That is not to say that some may have enough mass moving on the arms and little enough mass and friction with the floor that they may have a tendency to "walk."  If it is not too bad you can use a lever to periodically move it back into place.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Put it this way: any force that goes into moving the press across the floor is force that's not going into your workpiece. If you can't bolt your press down, I would recommend attaching it to the floor with silicone and loading down the base with as much mass as possible.

• 4 weeks later...

Bonnskij, the short answer to your question is YES. Before I bolted the flypress stand to the floor, I had to move it back to place on a weekly basis. It would move a couple of cm every time I used it.  I agree with JHCC, try to secure it to something like add mass to the base, silicone it, brace it to a heavy working bench. Do not brace it to the wall, most probably, it will pull a portion of the wall...