I Forge Iron

I went to a hammer in a couple months back and one of the smiths there was using a hot cut similar to this. A 3/8" x 3" x 2 3/4" piece of A-2. I used A-2 becuase that was the only piece of steel i could find at work the fit my needs. As we all know hot cut do not HAVE to be high carbon. Wish i would have taken the 4" wide piece after making this though. 

I figure for a beginner or novice that does not have the skills yet or maybe just not the tooling to move large material to make a hot cut this idea could come in handy. No forging all just stock removal. Entirely made with a 4" angle grinder. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c2cf3faf3f31cb9d14a2d073ead9aec5.jpeg

Yes my anvil has a few dings ad chisel marks but it is a Mousehole that is 150 years old though. 

Edited by BillyBones
made a mistake

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a similar one in a youtube video I saw recently (I forget whose channel it was) and I really like the idea. Elegant simplicity. Should hold really well in the hardy hole and it can be angled to favour a right, or left, handed blacksmith.

Cheers,

Jono.

Yes, a single bevel leaves one side of the cut square to the stock so just a couple strokes from a file makes it pristine. IF the smith holds it square to the cut off that is. I like the butcher in my guillotine for that reason. Sometimes I leave the parent stock with a square end others it's more convenient to have the piece I want to work square.

Another type butcher has a rounded edge and is used to isolate set downs and shoulders. The step in the shoulder is square to the stock and the bottom of the cut is rounded so it's far less likely to break while you forge.

I know only one of what I describe above is properly called a "Butcher" but I can't recall at the moment and will be happy when someone sets me straight on the term. . . . again.:)

Frosty The Lucky.