I Forge Iron

Made this today, what is it??

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You drive that spike in a nice solid tree, tie a BIG rope on it, then sneak up behind a moose and gently tie the rope around the hind qtrs to hold him 'til huntin' season opens??!!!!! No?

Actually that isn't how a moose catcher works.

A moose catcher's a large arrowhead shaped grappling hook thingy with a long shaft. It ties to a stout rope that you then tie to a stout tree. Then you sneak up behind the moose, insert the moose catcher and wait till hunting season.

One should always confirm these things before bringing them up in public. :rolleyes:

Frosty

P.S. Oh yeah, Two close calls by the stretchiest of wild imaginations.

Frosty, you forgot to tell 'em that when you buy a moose catcher, the "price does not include installation"!! LOL. I was stationed up there, my friend. I bought one for my dad.:)

You bought one for your . . . DAD! :o

I haven't seen one for sale for a while, probably not PC anymore. Of course if I ever went by a place where they sell souvenirs I might see one.

Where were you stationed?

Frosty

Hi Frosty it looks like that one is the new improved version. I found that I have one left from the fair. I may let you see it for a fee.;)

You do do you? You will? How magnanimous of you, just don't leave the room next meeting. ;)

I gotta tell you I was in some hot water with Deb because you made a couple for other gals and not one for her.

She likes the balance of 1/2" stock and the recurve makes levering out of the teeth much easier. The tip's also flattened slightly so it doesn't tear through. This is #5 and my first attempt at an Angora head finial.

It took two tries before I remembered you only turn a pineapple twist back HALF the number of turns. I imagine by time I get it figured out Deb will have all she wants and I'll have to find something else to keep her happy.

Frosty

Yeah, kinda sorta a pry bar tooth picker with the head of an Angora (fiber) goat finial.

It's a doffer, used to lift the wool from a drum carder. This pic is of the second one I made Deb, my darling wife, and the drum carder. I don''t have a shot of one in use yet but there's a steel strip across the large drum making a gap in the teeth. The doffer is slid under the wool for a couple inches and used to lift the wool out of the teeth so you can get hold of it and separate the fibers. This doffer has a cable twist and an after thought of a ball finial.

I'll see if I can get a shot of the doffer in use later today.

This is a fun thread, we should do it some more. How about it Mark, I KNOW you have an item or two most folk in the lower 48 haven't seen.

Frosty

9043.attach