I Forge Iron

I-beam or square tubing for hammer?

I'm building a jyh power hammer and I am about to start welding the frame up, I have a pretty heavy duty 1/2" thick I-beam that I'm planing to use for the main column part and I also have some 1/4" walled square tubing I could use too. How much difference does a column like square tubing filled with sand damper the sound compared to a more open column like a I-beam?

8902.attach

I built a Rusty style hammer, and used square tube for the center column. Empty the whole thing rang like a bell. I filled it with steel shot, and the machine is much less nosiy. The extra 650# also helps to stabilize the machine. I had access to scrap steel shot from a Wheelabrator. Dirty, but free. After a few hours I had to top off as it settled. This went on for a couple of months.

I believe square tubing has the advantage over an i-beam for reasons stated above. I like to make my frames very heavy for stability. 1/4 inch wall would be a little light. I would recommend 1/2 inch walled square tubing if you can find it. The base needs to be heavy also (minimum of 3/4" plate, 2" is better).

Edited by djhammerd

I ended up using the heavier I-beam I had. I figure latter on I will find a couple plates to weld on the sides to box it in. I'm definitely going to have to find a heavier and bigger base plate to mount everything on but for now its on a 1/2 plate. For now I just have to figure out how short to cut the main springs.

8952.attach

8953.attach

• 1 month later...

I've built hammers using I-beams with 1/2 flanges and that works, but I now favor box beams that I construct using channels and flats, bolted together. With bolted together box beams I can, like with I-beams, access bolts that pass through a flange. With rectangular tubes I find the sides are not particularly flat and bolts have to be threaded into the tube walls, or totally welded construction used. I have nothing really against tubes, but I prefer fab'd box beams.

I finally finished my hammer a while ago, still needs a paint job yet though. But I don't notice and real difference in sound compared to what I remember little giants putting out, of coure most of my hammer is built like a tank. I don't even want to think about how many welding rods I burnt threw.

• 4 weeks later...
I ended up using the heavier I-beam I had. I figure latter on I will find a couple plates to weld on the sides to box it in. I'm definitely going to have to find a heavier and bigger base plate to mount everything on but for now its on a 1/2 plate. For now I just have to figure out how short to cut the main springs.

Yes you will have to box it.I used I-beam and once you put the tire and and arms etc,it will surprise you how much it will twist,I had to box the sides and used expanding foam to quiet it..So tubing is the best choice,thicker the better----Regards Butch--whoops Looked at your pics and saw it was a hevle,but tubing is still better--- Edited by rsilver4