I Forge Iron

First Forge

Arbalist

Been looking at the Wash Tub Charcoal Forge threads but not seen anything like it over here so I had a radical re-think and came up with this. I managed to get this discarded steel shelf and it was easy enough to cut and bend at work. It's held together with three lengths of 10mm threaded rod. I've just drilled the end plates to take the Air Tube and test fitted it. I need to drill a line of 1/4 inch holes along the top of the tube. Shown are some hard Fire Bricks in place but I plan to make some of my own (larger) insulating Fire Bricks to line it with when I decide which recipe to use. How am I doing? Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated :D

Vic.

8651.attach

8652.attach

Be careful with your construction. The first times you heat it up, all kinds of toxic vapours will go into the air. I do not know the material you worked with, but it looks like it is at least coated with some kind of varnish.

Depending on the alloys of your material, there could be other metals than iron that take a gaseous form when heated (zinc would be a very famous metal for example).

To sum it up: Careful.

Thanks for the warning. As far as I can tell the shelving is just covered in grey paint and the air tube has primer on it.

Next job is to cut both end panels just above the Air Tube to get the work near the hot spot, and drill those Air holes. Also need to make a former for the Fire Bricks.

there is a vearry high chance that it is galvinized so be cautious if white somke starts from rhe sides or bottom or it turns a weird yellow color turn it off and get away like realy away as far away as you would be if you herd the lines for a gasser hissing

be safe and careful we will continue to enjoy your input

sorry for the rant i have come accross to much powder coated steel that was galvinized

This is one recipe that's looking likely:

2 parts Clay
2 parts Silver Sand
1.5 parts Portland Cement
1.5 parts Perlite

Just made a small trial brick to test. I increased the Perlite to 2 parts as it didn't seem enough for what is supposed to be an Insulating Firebrick. Soon as it's dry I'll maybe cook it in the oven then "test" it with a propane torch!

Edited by Arbalist
Update

Well I fired it up today and as the pictures show it certainly worked well enough. I (thought) I wanted a nice compact forge and the wash tub forge that was the inspiration for this seemed a good idea, although in fairness it is aimed at knife makers. The limitations of the design (for me at least) mean that I'm going to have to re-think what I need. The only other forge I've used was Coke fired and that certainly produced less fire scale than this one so that is a concern for me as well. Hopefully I'll be trying out a Chip Forge next week so I can see what that is like.

Setup
10mm Bar fresh from the fire.
Melted off end!

Vic.

8977.attach

8978.attach

8979.attach