I Forge Iron

Doors of The Old Faithful Inn, YSNP

DHVidrine

This past August I spent four days in Yellowstone National Park.  One of the most majestic facilities there is the Old Faithful Inn.  The two main entry doors are hand crafted of wrought iron and rough hewn lodgepole pine wood.  When I walked through I had to photograph them.  I am sure they are over 100 years old and the names of the craftsmen are lost to history.  Have any of you taken on a project such as these doors?  I would cerntainly like to read about your experience if you have.  listed below are two web links if your are interested in the history of the Old Faithful Inn.  Put Yellowstone National Park on your bucket list. 

Old Faithful Inn | Yellowstone National Park Lodges

Old Faithful Inn - Wikipedia

Old Faithful Inn Door 1.JPG

Old Faithful Inn Door 2.JPG

Old Faithful Inn Door 3.JPG

I have been familiar with the magnificent Old Faithful Inn for many years although it is in the opposite corner of the state from me.  No, I have never attempted anything of the sort ("We're going to need a bigger forge.")  Other places that have impressive iron work are things that were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s and early '40s.  There is some at Guernsey State Park on the North Platte River in the eastern part of Wyoming.  I hope to get back up there soon and will take some pics and try to post them.  I've also seen impressive iron work on the doors of Roman Catholic and Episcopal cathedrals.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Pretty cool.

I was talking with a smith at a period re-enactment and he was working on the hinges for the gates of a colonial period fort that is being built somewhere around here. 

A few years back there was a documentary made called "The Devil's Blacksmith" about the smiths who re-made the hinges on the North door of Notre Dame.  

Some of the colleges have some really nice iron work as well. I was commenting to someone the other day about the gates of Harvard. They are worth taking a gander at. 

That's great stuff, DHVidrine. Thanks for the photos.

At risk of unnecessarily triggering the classic Harvard-Yale rivalry, Yale also has some great ironwork, including a number of gates by Samuel Yellin. 

As for church doors, here's Yellin's ironwork on the doors of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Philadelphia:

366955356_10228247524126783_5112167650269709296_n.jpg?stp=cp6_dst-jpg&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=5f2048&_nc_ohc=zT_-1gqOTuUAX_1C-2S&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=00_AfB3U892f_u5NHOn7lR9NVwhtVYTKlU05L-SmtQjcHGnFA&oe=6533720F

(This is the church where my parents got married.)